Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

The Licence fee?

Recommended Posts

IMO the government pulled a fast one by promising "Free TV Licences " for the over 75s they giving the responsibility to the BBC to cover the cost of it.

Should we have ever got the free licence ,which was a bit of Gerrymandering by the politicians to get votes, what happens between the age of 74 and 75 that means you cannot afford the fee?

Most of us who cruise should be able to afford it? should it still be free to the over 75s ....Davybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding was that the last major license fee increase was contingent upon the BBC taking responsibility for the over 75s free licenses, so any gerrymandering was solely by the BBC, and I imagine they always intended to stop this provision despite their review showing only 15% thought it should stop, the remaining 85% thought it should stay (48%) or be amended in some way (37%).

Whichever political party proposes privatising the BBC and abolishing the license fee might just secure my vote at the next election.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have signed the partition and written to my MP. Yes we can afford to pay for our TV licence, less spending money on the next cruise!!!! But so many elderly people who do not get pension credit but still only get a small pension will have to decide what to go without to pay the fee. Next thing I suspect will be  bus passes.

we are any easy group to hit as no one really sticks up for us and we can hard,y go on strike.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, cruise addict said:

But so many elderly people who do not get pension credit but still only get a small pension will have to decide what to go without to pay the fee.

This issue will hopefully highlight the fact that many pensioners are actually eligible to claim pension credits but never have,  by doing so may actually make them better off.

Could end up being a win win for some, free licence and extra cash:D

HLM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HLM said:

This issue will hopefully highlight the fact that many pensioners are actually eligible to claim pension credits but never have,  by doing so may actually make them better off.

Could end up being a win win for some, free licence and extra cash:D

HLM.

It as said that most Benefits the public are entitled to claim are not claimed by the all those entitled, must be some sort of pride thing .

Personally I would love to see the BBC self funding and scrap the licence fee altogether....Davybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ironically I received my Notification from TV Licensing regarding the changes .

At 75 or over and you are getting Pension credit then you are entitled to a free licence?

Unfortunately those under 75 but still getting Pension credit will not get a free licence, do we suddenly become poorer at 75 ,I thought the idea of pension credit was to provide the poorest with a decent income, some idiot at the BBC seems to think otherwise....Davybe🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×