Sign in to follow this  
Austin

Canaries in Early December

Hi I have cruised before but not to Canaries. I booked on P&Os Arura  ( does any one know how the up grade  turned out?) My question is . Is the weather ok in Dec or should I may be change to an October cruise.

The weather should be OK either month once you are in the Canaries but if sailing from Southampton the weather and seas could be more inclement in December and it takes best of 3 days each way to get there and return to Southampton.

Always a risk sailing through the BoB but you could be luck?

We did a Christmas cruise on Ventura and the weather was not bad 22c in Madera New Years eve. the the sea was rough on the way back, we were late back into Southampton.The Ship had been damage on the cruise prior to ours due to very rough sea ,they said the Stabilisers were broken, and we had to limp back.

As a couple we do not mind rough seas, but take Avomin tablets just in case...Davybe

Thanks Davybe,  it's good to know weather is good down there as that was the idea. I picked this one as an over night in Madera and always wanted to go. Other wise probably gone earlier. Austin 

1 minute ago, Austin said:

Thanks Davybe,  it's good to know weather is good down there as that was the idea. I picked this one as an over night in Madera and always wanted to go. Other wise probably gone earlier. Austin 

We love Madera ,and I hope they have the Christmas lights up when you get there,some beautiful parks and gardens, we have been lucky that it has only rained once in around 10 visits ...Davybe

22 hours ago, Austin said:

That's really good to know.  Any other tips let me know. Thank you. Have you ever sailed on Aurora? 

Never been on Aurora,

You may find they offer a good deal for dining in the speciality restaurant ,on the overnight stay in Madera ...Davybe

Aurora is a lovely ship, great crew, good atmosphere we were on her in June 

From experence the weather in your ports should be good warm sunshine calm seas, but sailing from Southampton could be cold and bit choppy at best, we had very choppy waters when we did it a few years ago.

Enjoy your cruise

We have done a few Caribbean cruises from Southampton in winter and you should find that the weather slowly improves as you near Madeira, assuming this is your route to the Canaries, and this last January it was warm enough for shirt sleeves in Madeira and pleasantly hot when the sun was out.