Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Britannia Fight Night?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49137520

You may have seen it in your paper or on the news yesterday.

Fighting in the Buffet at 20am,Just wonder how many people got out of bed to see the fight?

I have seen a couple confined to cabin after a drink related domestic? but in fairness  I have never seen any really bad behaviour on any cruise ship we have ben on.

I know some ships got a bad name due to passenger behaviour but have you seen any thing yourselves .Some people say the will not cruise from Southampton because they will be sailing with badly behaved  brits, yet they prefer to fly with them despite weekly reports of bad behaviour on planes....Davybe

We've only seen drunks once & that was on a short cruise full of stag & hen parties but never any fighting. We usually go on adult only ships which seem to be full of older people so I wonder if there is more likely to be trouble on family ships with large family groups when arguments can break out.

OMG thank goodness never seen fights, have seen the odd domestc row between a couple but never a fight, have heard tails like a couple of husbands in the laundrette and two ladies over a washing machine.

I did see one of injured was a crew member I have just seen that the couple who were arrested have been released 

Yet again they've made it a mountain out of a molehill,  Just so happens that Richard Gaisford of GMB was onboard.

Need we say more, I believe he described it as a "Bloodbath on Britannia" appears to be nothing more than a scuffle rather than a bloodbath.

Not nice of course, but neither is over enthusiastic journalism.

Can't say I've ever witnessed a bloodbath on any ship, the odd petty argument yes.

HLM.

Both P&O and Hampshire Police deny there was a "clown" involved in the incident, seems yet again it wouldn't have been a story without a little exaggeration.

Just like the launderette tales that have done the rounds for years.

The truth will out in the end.

HLM.

1 hour ago, HLM said:

Both P&O and Hampshire Police deny there was a "clown" involved in the incident, seems yet again it wouldn't have been a story without a little exaggeration.

Just like the launderette tales that have done the rounds for years.

The truth will out in the end.

HLM.

The story is gathering more details according to the papers?

One man writing on Youtube said he and his family were asleep on deck 12 heard nothing and had, had a great cruise?

A Lady quoted in one paper claimed it was dreadful from the start "Full off Me Me Me people who were drinking and very rude?

Met a few rude passengers  over the years but mainly some very nice people...Davybe

In the paper today it says that a witness said that people were drinking as much as they could with their unlimited drinks packages. If true maybe P & O should halve the package prices & at the same time halve the number of alcoholic drinks that come with the package. That could lead to more people buying the package as with unlimited soft drinks & coffees & perhaps 3 or 4 alcoholic drinks it would suit more people. If you drink more you could then buy it.  It would stop people who drink a lot of alcohol just to get their money's worth & are perhaps not used to drinking so much every day from getting so drunk. 

1 hour ago, 2torts said:

In the paper today it says that a witness said that people were drinking as much as they could with their unlimited drinks packages. If true maybe P & O should halve the package prices & at the same time halve the number of alcoholic drinks that come with the package. That could lead to more people buying the package as with unlimited soft drinks & coffees & perhaps 3 or 4 alcoholic drinks it would suit more people. If you drink more you could then buy it.  It would stop people who drink a lot of alcohol just to get their money's worth & are perhaps not used to drinking so much every day from getting so drunk. 

Or start charging US prices and not allowing any drinks to be taken on board, that would soon stop the assholes !!

We had a large group of 'travellers' one year on a Caribbean Christmas cruise who caused havoc throughout the whole cruise, P&O eventually put them off the ship at the last port of call but imo should have done it much sooner, the men were fighting, the kids were fighting even the women were fighting it was very unpleasant if you happened to be in an area they were in, they threatened to put one of the croupiers overboard, the kids were throwing sun loungers and anything else which wasn't fastened down overboard and yet it still took P&O nearly 3 weeks to disembark them. 

It was going to happen, bigger ships more people in a confined space. We only do adults only on smaller ships. We have seen a couple of domestics but nothing else. Our worse cruise was on Oceana to the Caribbean about  6years ago. We flew down and sailed back, I think the flight from Manchester had a whole group of people who had booked together. Their children were free to do what they wanted and the parents just drank all day. You can imagine the complaints from the other passengers. That confirmed our decision to go Adult Only.

Reports suggest that the incident only involved 6 people, in the grand scale of things you'd of been really unlucky to witness the incident.

I suspect incidents such as this happen on most cruises only difference being a journalist was onboard hence the incident was reported widely.

As was said above some say they saw it some say they didn't, who do you believe?

HLM.

On 7/29/2019 at 11:21 AM, *Dancing Queen* said:

Or start charging US prices and not allowing any drinks to be taken on board, that would soon stop the assholes !!

I thought that the Bar staff should refuse anymore drinks to those who are to well oiled, but then again when your paid by the drinks you serve ??....Davybe

With 6 injured and 2 arrested when police boarded in Southampton he didn't have to look far for a story.

Yes problems do happen on ships but how often are 6 allegedly injured and people arrested by police, it was obviously bad enough for the captain to report the incident and have police waiting for the ship at Southampton.

19 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

With 6 injured and 2 arrested when police boarded in Southampton he didn't have to look far for a story.

Yes problems do happen on ships but how often are 6 allegedly injured and people arrested by police, it was obviously bad enough for the captain to report the incident and have police waiting for the ship at Southampton.

I suspect that there are "incidence" on lots of cruises most of which we hear nothing about, ...Davybe

Undoubtedly some pax exaggerate incidents and the press definitely do.  Cruising is changing and P&O are changing.  P&O are now trying to appeal to the package holiday market and consequently the passenger demographic is changing - especially on the larger ships.  Also, the continuing drive to bring prices down is more likely to attract people who 'like a good drink'. Sadly, people's attitudes in life generally are changing and becoming more selfish  These factors combine to raise the chances of confrontation between pax.

I might still be under 60 but prefer the more 'genteel' atmosphere aboard P&O's smaller ships thank you.

18 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Probably because the incidents are not serious enough to have police waiting at the next port to arrest the suspects.

Any incident, does not have to be serious, but if somebody has been physically assaulted and it is reported onboard they are then obliged to report it to the police on the next port of call and they will be waiting at the port.

1 hour ago, afcandrew said:

Undoubtedly some pax exaggerate incidents and the press definitely do.  Cruising is changing and P&O are changing.  P&O are now trying to appeal to the package holiday market and consequently the passenger demographic is changing - especially on the larger ships.  Also, the continuing drive to bring prices down is more likely to attract people who 'like a good drink'. Sadly, people's attitudes in life generally are changing and becoming more selfish  These factors combine to raise the chances of confrontation between pax.

I might still be under 60 but prefer the more 'genteel' atmosphere aboard P&O's smaller ships thank you.

So what you are saying is that in the past when prices have been higher that people "dont like a good drink". There are people who get drunk in all walks of life and however much money they have so your statement is insulting that if people are at the lower end of price bracket on P&O that they "like a good drink" and therefore insinuating that they are the ones that cause trouble. Alcohol affects people of all walks of life in different ways some get aggresive some dont but it is nothing to do with how much money they have and for you to insinuate that is offensive. Some people might have to work very hard to be in a position to be able to afford a cruise that does not mean they are excessive drinkers or troublemakers.

Edited by sinbad10

43 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

So what you are saying is that in the past when prices have been higher that people "dont like a good drink". There are people who get drunk in all walks of life and however much money they have so your statement is insulting that if people are at the lower end of price bracket on P&O that they "like a good drink" and therefore insinuating that they are the ones that cause trouble. Alcohol affects people of all walks of life in different ways some get aggresive some dont but it is nothing to do with how much money they have and for you to insinuate that is offensive. Some people might have to work very hard to be in a position to be able to afford a cruise that does not mean they are excessive drinkers or troublemakers.

I am certainly not meaning to insult anyone Sinbad and I do realise that income and background does not relate to alcohol consumption.  As I have said in my post, I feel there are a number of factors that are changing the on-board experience of P&O's ship.  I can only go by my own experience.  The only time I have experienced drunken, selfish behaviour on a P&O ship was aboard Azura in the Caribbean, when there had been a number of 'cheap deals' offered for that sailing.

31 minutes ago, afcandrew said:

I am certainly not meaning to insult anyone Sinbad and I do realise that income and background does not relate to alcohol consumption.  As I have said in my post, I feel there are a number of factors that are changing the on-board experience of P&O's ship.  I can only go by my own experience.  The only time I have experienced drunken, selfish behaviour on a P&O ship was aboard Azura in the Caribbean, when there had been a number of 'cheap deals' offered for that sailing.

But did you know as a fact that those portraying drunken, selfish behaviour were on "cheap deals" or is it just you assuming this. Without proof it is a disturbing and wrong assumption to make.

Sorry Sinbad10, but I do have a little sympathy with afcandrew, I have found from my own experience that it does seem to be the cheap deals that perhaps are more attractive to people who would not normally go cruising and want to go as a large group with other friends, I also see from comments above that the cruises to the Caribbean are mentioned maybe it is the amount of sea days when returning home. 

Maybe you have lucky and have never witnessed these problems.

4 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

But did you know as a fact that those portraying drunken, selfish behaviour were on "cheap deals" or is it just you assuming this. Without proof it is a disturbing and wrong assumption to make.

I know I am not one to make rash assumptions or judgements Sinbad - and those that know me do also.  I do not intend to make any further replies to this thread.