Sign in to follow this  
grandkel

Solo Cruising

I would like to do a cruise around Japan and have seen some cruises but the cost for a solo traveler is over £7000.00 and that's about the cost of two passengers. At these costs, I want to have someone travel with me and wondered if anyone has been in the same boat ( sorry about the pun) and has any advice and the pitfalls of going with someone unknown.

9 hours ago, grandkel said:

I would like to do a cruise around Japan and have seen some cruises but the cost for a solo traveler is over £7000.00 and that's about the cost of two passengers. At these costs, I want to have someone travel with me and wondered if anyone has been in the same boat ( sorry about the pun) and has any advice and the pitfalls of going with someone unknown.

Welcome to the forum grandkel😀

Have you any relatives or friends who may wish to share with you?

The same pitfalls that we all face that is getting on with your traveling companion in a small space(Seen a few long term relationships strained) and being able to do your own thing without upsetting your companion .hope it works out for you ....Davybe

Welcome aboard!

Since my partner died in 2012 I have done a number of cruises both solo and with two different friends.  That really works for me but I don't think I would want to cruise with an unknown person as there are probably more pitfalls than advantages.  You might be early-to-bed, early to-rise and they might be the opposite.  They (or you 😀) might snore horrendously or talk in their sleep.  One or other might hog the terribly small bathroom for hours.  One or other might leave clothes strewn all over the cabin and the other might be tidy.  There might be a hygiene problem...

P&O used to do cabin shares many years ago but stopped it.  I think that is because so many people complained about their cabin mates in an attempt to get moved to a cabin on their own!

I get on really well with the two friends I cruise with and we don't have any of those problems but I have to say that I also enjoy the cruises I do solo, with the freedom to have my own space and do exactly what I want when I want.

Sadly, single supplements can often be close to 100% with many lines, particularly for cruises on popular or limited itineraries.  It is worth looking at luxury lines like Crystal or Silversea as they sometimes offer low single rates.