Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Venice to ban Cruise Ships?

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/cruise/1163154/cruise-ship-venice-cruises-ban-italy-holidays-latest-news

According to this report Venice has now implemented what threatened to do and ban large cruise ships from coming into the city area to berth.

The ships will berth about 3 miles away ,I presume they will have some means of getting tourist into the old town, but then again?.

I still think that day tourist still contribute to the economy dispute what the anti tourist say.

Will Venice regret or rejoice this decision ....Davybe

18 hours ago, The Harpers said:

Oh dear, first my Dubai cruise for next Feb is cancelled then this. Booked to go on Arcadia this October and was hoping to do it before ban came into place

You may miss the sail in but I am sure they will have plan to get tourist into the old town, A Visit to the Glass factory is well recommended..Davybe

I'm sorry for anyone who probably now won't experience the sail in but it doesn't bother me as we've been there a few times. We are in fact there again next year. I'd already decided I probably wouldn't be getting off the ship and now I definitely won't be.

According to this article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49276730 it looks as though the change will be gradual.  There is probably limited space at the alternative berths being used.  I have looked at a map and the 'new' terminal appear to be just across the water from Venice Island and I would imagine that there will be easy ways to get pax into the city centre by both water and road.

Whilst Venice is stupidly overpriced and crowded, I would never tire of going there.  For me, it is definitely the most most beautiful city on Earth. 

We have sailed into Venice 3 times all on Arcadia and it was wonderful. The last time we did not get off the ship as I was not feeling to well. We spent our afternoon on the balcony watching the water taxis and buses sailing to and fro. We also saw a couple of cruise ship leave the port. Our observations were the Hugh amount of local traffic racing around so fast that they were causing more waves and wash then the 2 large cruise ship we saw leave.

4 hours ago, afcandrew said:

But the amount of water displaced by the cruise ships is an awful lot more than that displaced by small local traffic, and likely to cause more (unseen, underwater) damage.

I might be a cynic but I would want to see cast iron evidence that water displacement in a verylarge lagoon like Venice along a wide waterway like the Guidecca canal, is more damaging than the major high speed wakes impacting the  Grand canal walls from the vaporettas and leisure craft.

7 hours ago, afcandrew said:

But the amount of water displaced by the cruise ships is an awful lot more than that displaced by small local traffic, and likely to cause more (unseen, underwater) damage.

I think it was probably about 7 years ago that there was a series of programmes about Venice which we watched. One of the concerns was the damage being caused by the local traffic along the Grand canal. I think Venice has more to worry about than cruise ships. 

Edited by Tally
words repeated

11 hours ago, towny44 said:

I might be a cynic but I would want to see cast iron evidence that water displacement in a verylarge lagoon like Venice along a wide waterway like the Guidecca canal, is more damaging than the major high speed wakes impacting the  Grand canal walls from the vaporettas and leisure craft.

I thought much like you that the Canal looked like the M25 on water, and those small boats were doing more damage than our slow moving cruise ship.

But on another forum a Marine engineer posted  a link showing that even at very slow speeds they disturbed the water which does the damage unseen from above...Davybe