Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Let the Train take the Strain?

Channel 5  8pm Friday just before the Cruise program .

A 6 part series about the worlds most luxury trains .

Never been on one but it does make me wonder if they are worth the money.Will watch with interest....Davybe

First part was mainly about the South African "Blue Train" must say it look a very nice way to see Africa ,bit Pricey but all inclusive ,including a trip to the Diamond mines.

Worth caching up on ...Davybe

22 hours ago, DavidH said:

Would be a waste of money for us as my wife would be asleep within 30mins of departure!!!

DavidH

Me too train ,plane or liner I can sleep on a washing line. One of the reasons we go by coach to Southampton ....Davybe

Edited by Davybe

We did the Rocky Mountaineer a few years back - Vancouver to jasper with an overnight in Kamloops. My wife loved it whereas I tolerated it. As a photographer I was frustrated with the lack of opportunity to shoot stuff at times when I went onto the end of the carriage outside in the heat. Like any railway bushes /trees came at the worst times when I wanted a shot. I much preferred driving back through the Rockies to Calgary in a hire car stopping whenever I wanted.

4 hours ago, jinky said:

We did the Rocky Mountaineer a few years back - Vancouver to jasper with an overnight in Kamloops. My wife loved it whereas I tolerated it. As a photographer I was frustrated with the lack of opportunity to shoot stuff at times when I went onto the end of the carriage outside in the heat. Like any railway bushes /trees came at the worst times when I wanted a shot. I much preferred driving back through the Rockies to Calgary in a hire car stopping whenever I wanted.

I have never taken the Rocky Mountaineer,  but I suspect I would feel the same as you.  I have driven from Vancouver to Calgary once and the reverse direction twice and loved every trip, even the one when I drove all 2,600 Km myself.  My mother and aunt were my passengers.  We enjoyed being able to stop whenever we wanted and go off the main road to explore.  We took two weeks for the trip, which included four days in Vancouver and two in Calgary.  Friends took the train in July and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.