Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Cruising from Liverpool?

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/341591/green-light-given-for-liverpool-cruise-terminal

Eventually work will start on a new cruise terminal for Liverpool,and hopefully it will attract a couple of the bigger cruise lines to start their cruises from Liverpool?

About an hours drive for us instead of a 6 hour journey to Southampton.

Will you be sailing from the pool when the new terminal opens....Davybe

Being just north of London, I will obviously stick to Southampton, Portsmouth, Dover or Tilbury.

Good luck with the venture.   I think Mr Lawless needs to check his facts if he thinks the World's largest Cruise Ships only take 3,600 pax though!  It will be interesting to see which lines it might attract as a turnaround port.  Some may try some line-voyages on a round-Britain itinerary where perhaps pax may board in either Southampton or Liverpool?  Cunard might be tempted to use it occasionally as it is their spiritual home?  Fred Olsen and CMV I would definitely think will be interested.  The problem for any of the large American lines will be accessibility to pax travelling from the USA.  In the south, they have Heathrow and Gatwick but in the north only Manchester.

Carnival-owned lines are unlikely to use it as a turnaround with their HQ being in Southampton and RCI are contracted to use ABP's City Cruise Terminal in Southampton until at least 2023.

I can see it being a part turnaround port but not as a complete turnaround port for the major cruise lines. It is fine building a new cruise terminal and surrounding roads but needs a lot more infrastructure and cannot see it attracting many American cruisers flying into Manchester and sailing from Liverpool. Just returned from British Isles cruise with Princess where people could actually embark the ship and start their 12 nt round BI cruise from Dublin, Le Havre as well as Southampton and can see it being used for this but not for whole ship embark/disembarkation.

Edited by sinbad10

53 minutes ago, Countrygirl said:

Sorry not for me I am only 1hour from Southampton.

As conservation and reduction in CO2 emissions becomes the norm, I think that all Northern European cruises will have to sail from northern ports, so you may need to travel if you want to do the fjords or the Baltic, just as us northerners will need to head south for Med and Canary cruises.

Alternatively we might all have to stay at home and put on our VR headsets to go on holiday!!!😉

21 hours ago, afcandrew said:

Being just north of London, I will obviously stick to Southampton, Portsmouth, Dover or Tilbury.

Good luck with the venture.   I think Mr Lawless needs to check his facts if he thinks the World's largest Cruise Ships only take 3,600 pax though!  It will be interesting to see which lines it might attract as a turnaround port.  Some may try some line-voyages on a round-Britain itinerary where perhaps pax may board in either Southampton or Liverpool?  Cunard might be tempted to use it occasionally as it is their spiritual home?  Fred Olsen and CMV I would definitely think will be interested.  The problem for any of the large American lines will be accessibility to pax travelling from the USA.  In the south, they have Heathrow and Gatwick but in the north only Manchester.

Carnival-owned lines are unlikely to use it as a turnaround with their HQ being in Southampton and RCI are contracted to use ABP's City Cruise Terminal in Southampton until at least 2023.

Who would have though Dublin would become a Turnaround port,,and Liverpool has a good reputation as a day visit port very popular with American visitors....Davybe

On 9/1/2019 at 9:32 AM, Davybe said:

Who would have though Dublin would become a Turnaround port,,and Liverpool has a good reputation as a day visit port very popular with American visitors....Davybe

But as Sinbad has said, it was one of three ports that pax could board at - which is what I meant by Line Voyages.  Paris would be a big draw for Americans, hence Le Havre and of course many Americans have an Irish heritage and wish to visit that country.  I would guess there are a number of direct flights between USA cities and Dublin.

1 hour ago, afcandrew said:

But as Sinbad has said, it was one of three ports that pax could board at - which is what I meant by Line Voyages.  Paris would be a big draw for Americans, hence Le Havre and of course many Americans have an Irish heritage and wish to visit that country.  I would guess there are a number of direct flights between USA cities and Dublin.

It is easy for Princess to use Dublin and Le Havre and possibly Liverpool in the future for their British Isles cruise because they do it repeatedly throughout the summer. There has always been a small minority of Americans who have flown into London then cruised from Southampton and have requested to disembark at Le Havre so they could visit Paris for a few days. It made common sense rather than stay just an extra night to Southampton then have made it harder to visit Paris. This time people started the cruise and did full 12 nt cruise in Southampton, Dublin or Le Havre but as well as Americans there were an increasing number of Irish and French onboard because of the ease of booking a full 12 nt cruise. The problem with Liverpool is that facilities at Dublin and Le Havre was acceptable for the small amount who embarked there as most still embarked in Southampton. I cannot see in the future Dublin, Le Havre or Liverpool ever being used for a complete ship disembarkation/embarkation because of facilities and infrastructure.

22 hours ago, afcandrew said:

The Americans would IMO be the factor that decided if the Improved Liverpool would become a home port for one of their cruise lines, as others have said its the "Heritage Factor" that drives their international cruise market.

I asked on Eclipse "why so many Russian cruises each year" ."Because there is a demand by the US market for  that cruise?.

The Americans look at travel somewhat differently than we do ,distance makes not much difference to them,So Manchester and touring the UK would not bother them, even going down to London for a few days ,Even flying into London ,touring then cruising out of Liverpool would not Bother them....Davybe