Sign in to follow this  
mitch

here we go again Britannia B621 23 sept-07 oct

i am off again lol it starts today as the baggage handling company has rung to say they will pick up my bag on the 18th, so better start packing.

for those that didnt read my other ramblings this cruise may be a little sedate as 18 months ago the day after returning from the last cruise i had a heart attack shortly after getting up that morning,anyway a quick trip to sheffield northern fixed it with a stent and 3 months of physio followed. during which they stopped the cause of the blockage the anti inflamatories i had been taking for years and then discovered i had arthiritis in my spine that the anti inflamatories had been hiding and that i had a slipped disc which was pressing on the sciatic nerve. anyway a spinal injection in feb seems to have eased that to the stage that i thinkk its time for some r&r.

were off to madeira,la palma,tenerife,gran canaria,lanzerote,cadiz and lisbon, so should be able to stock up on port.

realised recently that the cruise is a food heroes cruise, teach me to pay attention when booking. so ive booked 2 of the cookery club classes the eric lanlard inspired masterclass and the thai street food. as i dont think i will be doing much walking as the back does play up a bit although the medics have given me extra stuff to take if i need it.

with luck the weather will be kind and there will be plenty of lying by the pool drinking rum.

i am cheating by getting a local ironing service to do my shirts for me so all i have to do is fold and pack.

i will update as we go lol.

bring on the rum.

Hope you have a very enjoyable and relaxing cruise Mitch, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread. We are considering using the baggage handling company for our next cruise so would welcome any comments or advice, especially regarding how they operate luggage on the return journey, and how quickly it is returned.

i have found them excellant, on return you collect your bags as normal and take them out of the terminal and they have a van literally outside, actual position varies depending where they can get in but its v close. you hand your bag over and he tells you the day he will deliver. i think 4 days after is the latest so far for me i am near chesterfield i suppose it depends where you are in the country and which way round hes going. i have used them 4 times now as i cant manage the driving that far and the train is easy from here but a big bag on the train would be a nightmare and i dont fancy the coach as the nearest pickup is one of the motorway service stations and the faff ofย  getting there and back with taxis etc. i use a large barrel bag and nothing broken either touch wood. i think theyre great.