Sign in to follow this  
DavidH

Jordan Visa Requirements

My wife and I are looking forward to a re-positioning cruise in November which gives us 2 full days in Aqaba, Jordan.  

We have already organised an independent 2 day Private Tour to take in Petra (including an overnight stay) and Wadi Rum.

I understand that a Visa is required in order to visit Jordan but have just read that this is provided free of charge to cruise ship passengers on arrival in the country. Are any Forum members able to confirm (or otherwise) that this is the case from recent experience?

DavidH

Hi David,

That sounds great - Petra is on my wish-list!  Probably best to check with the cruise line.  I have just looked on the website of a small tour operator I have used that also provides holidays in Jordan and they say that they provide a free visa if you are staying 3 nights or more...

Where else does your cruise stop at?

Andrew 

2 hours ago, afcandrew said:

Hi David,

That sounds great - Petra is on my wish-list!  Probably best to check with the cruise line.  I have just looked on the website of a small tour operator I have used that also provides holidays in Jordan and they say that they provide a free visa if you are staying 3 nights or more...

Where else does your cruise stop at?

Andrew 

Hi Andrew,

We board in Naples, not leaving until 23.00hrs.  Given that we're due to land around 10.00am, we should get to spend some decent time in the City itself (not our first visit).

We then have some two and a half days at sea before entering the Suez Canal, the transit scheduled to take some 16/17hrs.

Another sea day before arriving in Aqaba.  After that, it's 5 more sea days before disembarking in Dubai.  14 nights all told.

Our two most recent cruises, one with Azamara and an Emerald Waterways river cruise, were so port intensive we arrived home feeling the need for a rest.  Hence the attraction of this Marella trip, with a couple of "Bucket List" attractions (Suez transit and Jordan visit) thrown in.

Fingers crossed for safe passage through the Straits of Hormuz!!

By the way, TUI's advice is to "contact the relevant Consulate or Embassy" re Visa requirements - not particularly helpful.

DavidH

Sounds ideal for you considering the circumstances David.  Not that I have been on any but it does seem that the 'luxury' cruise lines operate mostly port intensive itineraries.  I think I might end up one day doing a land-based holiday to Jordan as most cruises only allow a day for Petra and no-where else.  It looks as though Jordan has a number of interesting places to see.  The other option for me would be a cruise calling in at Aqaba and Israel for Jerusalem.  I'm not religious but feel that is somewhere else I want to have on my wish-list.

On 9/20/2019 at 10:23 AM, afcandrew said:

Sounds ideal for you considering the circumstances David.  Not that I have been on any but it does seem that the 'luxury' cruise lines operate mostly port intensive itineraries.  I think I might end up one day doing a land-based holiday to Jordan as most cruises only allow a day for Petra and no-where else.  It looks as though Jordan has a number of interesting places to see.  The other option for me would be a cruise calling in at Aqaba and Israel for Jerusalem.  I'm not religious but feel that is somewhere else I want to have on my wish-list.

Hi Andrew,

Yes, the Holy Land is definitely worth a visit, if you can get the timing right.

We were booked to visit with P&O in 2016 but they pulled out because of the unrest at the time, so we did it exactly 2 years ago with Azamara.  2 nights in Ashdod, from where we visited The Dead Sea and Masada on day 1, Jerusalem and Bethlehem on day2.  Then 1 night in Haifa, which allowed us to also visit Nazareth.  A fantastic trip with a few Greek Islands thrown in for good measure.

So many places to see and so little time...……………………………………….!!

DavidH

On 9/21/2019 at 3:58 PM, Jenjen said:

We went to Jordan from Taba in Egypt, we had Togo to the border, and get a visa, which was free, did The Pink city, in Petra, on return to go back into Taba, our visa was cancelled.

Thanks Jenjen,

How recent was your visit, please?

DavidH

Our visit was about three years ago, time goes by so quickly it may have been four years!

we did do this as land base holiday I think it would be more difficult from a cruise, but that isonly my impression a word of warning, so much begging, from some not very nice people, aggressive, if you ignore them they spit at you, that was our experence anyway 

Thanks to all for your responses.

This morning I received an email from TUI which, amongst other things, provided a link to Visa information not previously available.  Apparently Marella Cruises use CIBTvisas service.  The specific information for Jordan reads as follows:-

"If you're a British Citizen you can obtain a visa free of charge on arrival".

To quote the words of the great W S Gilbert - "My mind is set at ease"

5 weeks and counting...…...

DavidH

With just a couple of weeks to go, Marella have communicated the following:-

"As a precaution we have taken the decision to avoid sailing through the Straits of Hormuz and into the Arabian Gulf as tensions in the Straits remain high and the safety and security of our customers and crew is our number one priority."

We will instead be leaving the ship at Fujairah, with a 90min coach transfer across the peninsular to Dubai Airport for our flight home.

Seems like a sensible decision to me and, having visited Dubai on numerous occasions, including several overnight stays, it's not an issue for us.  I wonder what the ship will be doing after that?  Might just have a look on their website.

DavidH