Sign in to follow this  
BanburyBlue

Lisbon: where does the ship dock

Hi all,

We're off on a cruise next week that docks in Lisbon.  I'm struggling to find out where the ship will dock, and where this dock is in relation to the city centre.

Does anyone know?

If it helps we're on the P&O Britannia (cruise B927), arriving in Lisbon on Friday 4th October.

Many thanks,

As Sinbad says a short walk into the city centre , if P@O have shuttles on and your not getting them for free ,then look at a taxi ,we use taxis when we are with Celebrity as they are cheaper than the shuttle.

The town centre to the ship can cost between 5.5e unto 8e depending on the traffic, plenty of shops in the new terminal building which takes you round the houses to get on and off the ship depending on where they berth....Davybe

Stock picture of new terminal  .

26648628479_6444387c8c_o.jpgThis 

Edited by Davybe
adding picture

Even when docked at the new terminal which is walking distance to the main pedestrian street, that also houses the Santa Justa lift, P&O normally have shuttles that take you to Restauradores square, which is the centre of the tourist shopping and cafe area, and fairly close to the Santa Justa lift.

According to the Port of Lisbon website, you will be berthed at the Jardim do Tabaco (aka Tobacco Quay), which is by the new Cruise Terminal as pictured by Davybe above.  From memory I would say it is no more than about 10 minutes walk (I am fully mobile but no Olympic Athlete 😁) to Praca do Comercio, the huge square that forms the very southern end of the city centre.  Of course, it depends what you want to do/see in the city as to where you want to be but there is a Tourist Office on the square and many buses/trams cross the north side of the square.  Like many cities, traffic can be a pain so it is sometimes quicker to walk than get the shuttle if you are reasonably mobile.  The city centre is reasonably compact but there are also several tourist attractions in Belem for which you would need public transport/taxi/HOHO to reach.

Walking is my preferred way and I am not super fit by any means.

I will be there on September 30th, but this time I'll be giving the Metro a go as I want to get to the Sao Sebastiao (El Corte Ingles is also up there) area for the view down over the city. This guide https://lisbonlisboaportugal.com/lisbon-transport/Lisbon-metro-guide.html makes it look straightforward to use and there is a station on the right line opposite the cruise terminal, Terreiro do Paco or Santa Apolonia further along the waterfront.

I suppose this is the sort of thing you look to do after visiting Lisbon a number of times.

RayO

Love Lisbon, so easy to walk into the centre, quicker than the shuttle bus, as lots of heavy traffic just walk along the road by the terminal, then cross over into the square.

very good for shoe shopping! 

Have a great time.

10 hours ago, RayO said:

Walking is my preferred way and I am not super fit by any means.

I will be there on September 30th, but this time I'll be giving the Metro a go as I want to get to the Sao Sebastiao (El Corte Ingles is also up there) area for the view down over the city. This guide https://lisbonlisboaportugal.com/lisbon-transport/Lisbon-metro-guide.html makes it look straightforward to use and there is a station on the right line opposite the cruise terminal, Terreiro do Paco or Santa Apolonia further along the waterfront.

I suppose this is the sort of thing you look to do after visiting Lisbon a number of times.

RayO

Take care on the Metro RayO. When we tried it three people, one of whom was allegedly blind, bumped into my husband as they got off the train. When we got on he discovered that his bumbag had been unzipped & his wallet had gone from underneath his sunglasses. It was very skilfully done but has tainted Lisbon for me ever since.

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm pretty clued on this stuff (though not complacent by any means) having had incidents in Florence, Barcelona, Istanbul and a couple of other places. Nobody's got anything yet. My usual approach is keep it close and keep it covered. I wear a bumbag, for convenience and as a diversion, but my money and card (only ever one) is in a lanyard around my neck under my shirt. Fingers crossed this will continue to work for me.

RayO

12 hours ago, 2torts said:

Take care on the Metro RayO. When we tried it three people, one of whom was allegedly blind, bumped into my husband as they got off the train. When we got on he discovered that his bumbag had been unzipped & his wallet had gone from underneath his sunglasses. It was very skilfully done but has tainted Lisbon for me ever since.

We were quite surprised how Lisbon had gone down over the years, our last visit March/April we saw rough sleepers, more shops closed and beggars, one getting really abusive when we would give her no money? sign of the times I guess....Davybe

4 hours ago, Davybe said:

We were quite surprised how Lisbon had gone down over the years, our last visit March/April we saw rough sleepers, more shops closed and beggars, one getting really abusive when we would give her no money? sign of the times I guess....Davybe

Same in many cities around the world including the UK.