Sign in to follow this  
Pesky Pirate

Where is everyone

I'm still around. I've recently been on a back to back of 28 days on the Queen Victoria.  As we've jumped ship from P&O and are unlikely to book a cruise with them again I've found I'm not interested in any threads about them. Perhaps I should start a thread about why Cunard should include the gratuities in the price of the cruise as P&O have done.😉

8 hours ago, HLM said:

Hi Sinbad, unfortunately you're just one of several present and former members he takes great pleasure in continuing to abuse, and all this from someone who claims to have been a senior officer in our armed forces.

Shocking isn't it?

HLM.

Having worked for 34yrs in a uniformed emergency I know what rank and uniform does to some people at first hand and can make some into bullies because they hide behind the rank and discipline code.

Edited by sinbad10

I'm still here but only just realised it was back in May that I last asked for information about a Christmas cruise booked on QV, which Dancing Queen was kind enough to give me some useful tips on.  Can not believe, after having a very traumatic year with not only my own health but my daughter's too that my husband & I managed to get 12 of us on a short cruise in August to celebrate our Golden Wedding (only just, but that's another story)  and now it's only  1month, 25days & 15 hours - not that I'm counting of course - till our Christmas cruise!!!  I'm so sorry to hear Davybe that you have had to cancel your cruise because of ill health and I wish you well.  It may not be the same for you but it is the thought of the next cruise that has got me through some very difficult times over the last year and I don't think it was by chance my family bought me a nautical themed clutch bag with "Refuse to Sink"  embroidered on it to carry my vast quantity of pills I now have to take???  All the very best to you and other fellow cruisers who have health problems ...... remember refuse to sink!!!

Thanks for all you good wishes, and here is an update.

I have kept of dialysis for over 20 years, but knew it had to come,eventualy,this Tuesday they fitted the pipework in my tummy for the dialysis , I have opted to have it at home ,and to start with I will have 4 half hour seasons per day, and maybe go onto an overnight treatment in the future.

We will be able to take holidays even cruises as it is DIY treatment, all I need is the fluids to get delivered to the ship, (Think a world cruise may a bit much?)

All praise to the NHS staff and renal nurses at our Hospital ,and my family....Davybe

Just back from a Med cruise on the Queen Victoria and was saddened to read about your illness. Hope that it does not stop you from cruising. Several people on the cruise were new to Cunard and had swopped from P&O and Princess as they thought that these two lines were not up to there past standard. Having only cruised with Cunard over the last 10 years I think that they are now cutting corners. As for on board tipping that they add to your bill, well I think this is getting too much so went to the purses desk and got it removed. As most cruise lines have now put a stop to it so should Cunard.

Sorry to hear that Davybe, I wish you every luck for the future and long may you be able to cruise.

Friend of ours has just returned from a cruise with Cunard and was not impressed. 

Last week I had 7 days aboard Hebridean Princess and that is a ship you don't hear much about, but without, a doubt it is the best food and service I have ever had on a ship anywhere. Sunday it is off to AMA Waterways on their new ship Magna. Should be interesting as it has some new concepts to it apart from being nearly double the width of other river craft. Has anyone been on it already as I would be interested to hear their views. 

We are currently on roundtrip Transatlantic on QM2 and the cruise is excellent in every way and seen no reduction service or quality of food, which has been excellent. I suppose if you compare from years ago standard shave droped but so has the price you cannot have it both ways.

On 12 November 2019 at 4:24 PM, sinbad10 said:

We are currently on roundtrip Transatlantic on QM2 and the cruise is excellent in every way and seen no reduction service or quality of food, which has been excellent. I suppose if you compare from years ago standard shave droped but so has the price you cannot have it both ways.

Hi Sinbad, hope you continue to have a great time.

I note that as expected we've made the latest addition of the aforementioned persons blog under the Bolsover section of "cruise forums revealed". 

I make no excuses about being banned on that other site, like others before me I was banned as a result of sticking to my principles and standing up to this trolling bully, his continued obsession with us just backs up our opinions of this so called gentleman.

Hope you're having better weather than us here, have safe journey home.

HLM.

I did not want to start the same thread 

It has gone very short of posts is everybody getting ready for Christmas? Without sounding smug I have the tree up, finished present buying, but not wrapped nor have I done the cards.

hope all are well Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

And so we head towards the end of another year and it appears the forum is heading the same way. With one post a week I cannot see it surviving. Most of the regulars have drifted away, no doubt like myself because there is nothing to interest them. There are nearly 70 ocean cruise lines, add to that nearly 40 river cruise lines world wide, between them operating 100's of ships to destinations around the globe, I personally find it disheartening that the forum is mainly occupied by posts about P&O with a smattering of Celebrity and TUI.

What about the new Virgin ship, Scarlet Lady, a ship that offers something different with another on order, the new MSC and NCL ships offering something different, the new Saga ship where everything is included, the new AMA river ship, AmaMagna and many more but nothing is mentioned. I truly find it disheartening and hence the reason I only look in now and again. It is after all supposed to be a dedicated cruise forum!!

I do however wish everyone a Happy 2020 with calm seas, good weather and memorable cruises.

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

Hi OWT,

Very best wishes for 2020.

Having only fairly recently submitted a review of our most recent cruise (albeit, a TUI ship) I can honestly say that the reaction - or, more accurately, the distinct lack of reaction does not serve as encouragement to make the effort again.

"This parrot is deceased", me thinks!!

DavidH

18 hours ago, DavidH said:

"This parrot is deceased", me thinks!!

Hi DavidH

So, so true and a great pity, there are some really interesting and knowledgeable people on the forum, however many forums are suffering, I am a moderator on one which has noticed a drop in numbers over the years, however we do arrange ship visits during the spring through the summer months, but we are a travel forum not dedicated cruise. On another dedicated cruise forum the admin have helped arrange forum cruises, arranged ship visits, invites to launches and naming ceremonies etc.  I would pose the question, what has Bolsover ever done to help enhance the forum or reward membership!!! 

Facebook pages with bloggers seem to have taken off in a way I don't think anyone predicted. A couple of years ago I set one up because my children were fed up with reading of my travels on my private FB page.This is now followed not only by cruisers but also cruise lines. Another advantage is you see a persons real identity so it wards off the keyboard warriors who hide behind a screen name and adopt multiple identities. Most cruise lines have them run by their followers and the numbers are amazing. From a recent Princess cruise I shared a short video of a galley tour and pictures of my cabin, they had a reach of 18.3k and 13.7k respectively, a cabin picture from AmaMagna a few weeks back 11.6k.  

Enjoyed your TUI review as did others who obviously look in but don't post. It's disheartening when you go to the bother of writing something and it generates little or no discussion. 

Having said all of that I will continue to look in until such time as Bolsover close it and will join in any interesting threads.

Do you not feel that by restricting the threads to mainly cruise related stuff, we are limiting ourselves when we do not post other things that may interest others....Davybe

1 hour ago, Davybe said:

Do you not feel that by restricting the threads to mainly cruise related stuff, we are limiting ourselves when we do not post other things that may interest others....Davybe

Sorry but have to say it is a cruise related website. That’s why I joined. I read most post’s but only comment why I see fit. 

3 hours ago, Davybe said:

As Countrygirl has already said, this is a dedicated cruise forum run by a company that only sells cruises. I think even their own staff have forgotten about it, when did you last see a post from one of the team, yet the FB page run by one of the team is booming and I look at it most days.

11 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

As Countrygirl has already said, this is a dedicated cruise forum run by a company that only sells cruises. I think even their own staff have forgotten about it, when did you last see a post from one of the team, yet the FB page run by one of the team is booming and I look at it most days.

Yet with well over 7000 posts the "off-topic room" is amongst the most popular sections of the site!!!

Other popular forums have slow periods especially this time of year when cruising is not so popular during the winter months.

Hopefully it'll pick up in the New Year when all this festive stuff is well behind us and members start to post about their upcoming bookings and so on.

HLM.

I sincerely hope you are right HLM. Unfortunately the forum went quiet long before the run up to Christmas unless that starts in September. 

I agree the 'Off Topic Room' has a significant number of posts, but could I respectfully say it is nowhere near the number of posts for 'Cruising' 20,088, 'Cruise Line' 16,247. Add in blogs, destinations and types of cruise which adds a further 7,000 plus and you are at over 43,000.

At least this debate has brought a few people back to posting

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

14 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Unfortunately the forum went quiet long before the run up to Christmas unless that starts in September. 

Now there's another subject OWT!!!!!.

I sincerely hope I'm correct that the quieter periods are seasonal, however the likes of Facebook etc have definitely impacted on forums such as these and new members are few and far between.

That said I still enjoy posting on here and will continue to do so when interesting threads come up, hopefully others will too.

Unfortunately there's only so much we can discuss about cruising and the "off topic" room recently has created the more interesting threads such as this one.

Only time will tell if this forum continues we'll just have to wait and see.

HLM.

I use the "Unread Content" feature to see what's happening, so I assume I would see all posts, including any off topic ones, and there seem to be very few new postings at all.  

However since Bolsover have provided an off  topic area then I assume the forum is open for discussions on everything, although all posters will probably have a major interest in cruising.

6 hours ago, towny44 said:

I use the "Unread Content" feature to see what's happening, so I assume I would see all posts, including any off topic ones, and there seem to be very few new postings at all.  

However since Bolsover have provided an off  topic area then I assume the forum is open for discussions on everything, although all posters will probably have a major interest in cruising.

Hi Towny, that's exactly what I use the "unread content" as it only shows the newest content which I've not previously seen and therefore saves me navigating around the site.

And I agree as this is predominantly a cruise forum the major interest is cruise related, however the "off topic" feature is a good inclusion and hopefully will continue to be well used.

HLM.