Rods song

Arcadia Funnel soot

Hi all

Did anyone go on cruise J913 Arcadia a few weeks back and struggle with the funnel soot and some strange red deposit landing on their clothes and worse inhaling it too? We were on that cruise and since arriving home both of us have had terrible coughs non stop. Because we were so off colour I have only just started to iron all the holiday clothes from the cases (we took five!) and cannot believe how many clothes have been stained with this red deposit. It has not come out in the wash and has ruined most of the items.  Just wondered if anyone else had suffered this. We used to sun bed on the top deck aft towards the far corner. 

Two years ago, I got covered in black soot on white linen trousers and white T shirt.

I went to reception to complain they said they would wash them, which they did, when we got home I put them in the wash,

they fell to bits. I was not alone in getting covered in soot lots of other said they had but nobody else got Pand O to wash the stained cloths.

The soot was always a problem on Arcadia , it use to be a black soot /grit ,we were told it was because of the type of oil they used as fuel. (The Cheapest dirtiest that money could buy).

As for Arcadia cough ,swore I would never go back on her having had two bad chest infections ,we have friends who are the same ,

You may get a better response by joining a P&O forum ...Davybe

23 hours ago, towny44 said:

I thought all the P&O fleet have had emission scrubbers fitted to remove particulates from the exhaust gases, if so should that not have cured the soot problem?

They had the soot problem on the new ship Britania ,and all this equipment needs servicing ,another area companies cut back on.....Davybe

On 10/10/2019 at 9:06 AM, towny44 said:

I thought all the P&O fleet have had emission scrubbers fitted to remove particulates from the exhaust gases, if so should that not have cured the soot problem?

If they have they certainly have not worked, not on this ship and not on this particular cruise but thank you for enlightening me anyway.