Sign in to follow this  
mitch

single cruisers turned over again

as a widower travelling on my own all cruise lines pretty much charge me at least as if i was one and a half people many as if i was a couple. the single supplement sucks.

however in particular p&o give you an onboard credit if you book the select price and although i pay in effect for 2 i only get 1 obc, likewise the military benefit if there were 2 people in my cabin i would get double what i currently get.

on my last cruise i came back on 8th oct, as usual discussions at times revolved around what people had paid etc and talking to a couple ex-military like myself and in the same grade cabin i had paid only £200 less than them and yet they had twice the obc. how can that be right.

even the single cabins suck, yet again ive registered for a 2022 cruise and yet again its cheaper to go for single occupency of a double cabin than to have a single cabin.

rant over

Unfortunately this is common amongst many cruise lines and also other land based holiday companies and hotels. They have all always been quick to over charge singles and also families during school holidays and I dont see anything changing in the near future.

I can certainly understand your frustrations Mitch, but equally I can see why cruiselines and others want a single occupancy supplement.

I would assume the presumption is that two people spend more than one, hence the reason for the extra cost.

I agree with Sinbad regarding school holidays, I took the hit for years when my kids were young and still do as my wife works in a school, but I have to accept that or not go away at all.

HLM.

I imagine the single supplement has more to do with the cruise line trying to recover as much of the missing passengers fare, so that the cabin contributes at the same level as dual occupancy.  That of course only applies to standard cabins, why cruise lines, or any other holiday hotel, would create single rooms and then try to charge double price for them seems grossly unfair and loses them any advantage they might have by offering single fares.  Whether single passengers in a standard should receive double OBC is again up to the cruise line, and whether there is any marketing advantage in them doing it.

If ever I am in that position I think I would try to find a friend to join me on the cruise, even if it meant paying part of their fare.

Unfortunately cruise pricing in general has always been very unfair at times, what with fluid pricing and prices dramatically changing overnight, then some getting OBC or free parking etc and some don't and indeed single occupancy pricing.

The kids holidays aside, I remember my first cruise when I naively booked a four berth cabin thinking that the third person sharing would make it cheaper, nothing said by the agent who took the booking, I subsequently realised that I could've booked two double cabins, been more comfortable and made a reasonable saving.

Didn't make that mistake again, but it obviously wasn't in the agents interest to tell me as it gave them an extra cabin to sell.

Lots of things are unfair, but it's ultimately our choice whether to book or not.

HLM.

4 hours ago, towny44 said:

I imagine the single supplement has more to do with the cruise line trying to recover as much of the missing passengers fare, so that the cabin contributes at the same level as dual occupancy.  That of course only applies to standard cabins, why cruise lines, or any other holiday hotel, would create single rooms and then try to charge double price for them seems grossly unfair and loses them any advantage they might have by offering single fares.  Whether single passengers in a standard should receive double OBC is again up to the cruise line, and whether there is any marketing advantage in them doing it.

If ever I am in that position I think I would try to find a friend to join me on the cruise, even if it meant paying part of their fare.

Be careful what you wish for - sharing a cabin can test even the best of friendships 😜

I have accepted (sort of) that I will have to pay double for the accommodation, but the side that sticks in my craw is the expectation that I should actually pay twice for meals and additional incentives that I then do not receive doubled. OBC is a simple one that should be doubled up, but it would be impossible to have an included drinks package doubled or free car parking doubled.

Recently travelling with my daughter and her husband outside cabins and above all had extra inclusions with no option to just book the cabin. Therefore, I ended up in an inside cabin and paid extra for the tips and drinks package.

RayO

2 hours ago, RayO said:

I have accepted (sort of) that I will have to pay double for the accommodation, but the side that sticks in my craw is the expectation that I should actually pay twice for meals and additional incentives that I then do not receive doubled. OBC is a simple one that should be doubled up, but it would be impossible to have an included drinks package doubled or free car parking doubled.

Recently travelling with my daughter and her husband outside cabins and above all had extra inclusions with no option to just book the cabin. Therefore, I ended up in an inside cabin and paid extra for the tips and drinks package.

RayO

It's horses for courses though Rayo, We've always paid a premium for having to travel during school holidays, it's very rare that we've been given any incentives such as OBC because the cruiselines know full well that the cabins will be sold.

Like I implied earlier, one way or another lots of people pay extra in certain circumstances, it's not just single travellers.

As Sinbad said earlier the likelihood is it's not going to change, if you feel that strongly the only way to do it is vote with your wallet or purse.

HLM.

As someone who sails solo regularly, yes it is very annoying and, I think, particularly unfair as it is something we have to put up with year-round (as opposed to seasonally).  I do find it particularly unfair when cruise lines 'crow' about how good they are to single pax and then weight single cabins with a hefty 'supplement'.  Of course, it isn't officially a supplement - just that they charge 30-50% more than one half of a pair travelling in a twin/double!  As has been said, many lines do this.  CMV regularly do 'bogof' offers where one person in a double/twin goes free.  More often than not, there is no offer at all for solo pax, who pay twice the standard price!

Its always worth asking a cruise line if they will give you double obc if you are paying double - it occasionally works!

Some of the ultra-luxury lines such as Crystal and Silversea do sometimes offer very low or even no single supplement on some cruises but of course they are more expensive to start with (but with high standards to match) and are more often than not fly-cruises.

Fortunately, I have two friends who I can cruise with in addition to sailing solo - and I get on really well with both of them.

If you can be flexible and not to fussy about who and where you cruise, then a decent agent should be able to keep you informed of any "offers " for singles the cruise lines may have coming up.

But if your sticking with Cunard or P&O then you sadly you may miss those offers.

We were on a cruise a few years ago when Cunard offered past guests inside cabins for single occupancy for less than £50pn including coach travel, use a decent agent....Davybe

On 20 October 2019 at 2:04 PM, afcandrew said:

Its always worth asking a cruise line if they will give you double obc if you are paying double - it occasionally works!

Quite right too, at point of sale ask the question if they want the sale they are more likely to give you a little extra.

No point complaining afterwards as they've got your money by then.

HLM.

The single supplement does at times seem unfair but it is based on the premise that the cabin will have double occupancy and of course the 'Bean Counters' have also worked out the approximate spend per passenger. However it's not the same with all cruise lines if you are prepared to come away from your favourite and try something different. Over the last year there have been many deals with no single supplement by various cruise lines. A reputable agent such as Bolsover will be able to see what is available. Fred Olsen have had a lot of deals and in my humble opinion offer an excellent cruise experience and sail from various ports in the UK for those that don't want to fly.

www.fredolsencruises.com/singles-cruise-deals

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

Fred Olsen's singles deals are very much what suits them, presumably cruises not selling that well, and usually limited to low grade outside cabins with portholes. The rest of the time they are pretty much like the rest. Having said that they do at least come up with singles deals, which to my mind illustrates how bad the situation is for solo travellers with all the other cruiselines.

RayO

my biggest gripe is the single cabins as they are usually more expensive than single occupency of a double which is crazy.

my last 2 cruises and poss the next depending on them getting me a booking on friday have all been sole occupency of a double cabin at the 2 person price and its been cheaper than a single. how can they justify charging more than for 2 people pay for a cabin for a single cabin.

12 hours ago, mitch said:

my biggest gripe is the single cabins as they are usually more expensive than single occupency of a double which is crazy.

my last 2 cruises and poss the next depending on them getting me a booking on friday have all been sole occupency of a double cabin at the 2 person price and its been cheaper than a single. how can they justify charging more than for 2 people pay for a cabin for a single cabin.

Totally agree with you Mitch.  It doesn't make sense and it must be because they hope they will ultimately make more money out of selling them subsequently at a big premium.  In addition, the single cabins on Aurora, Arcadia and Britannia are in poor locations - right forward and on Arcadia & Britannia, very high up.

On 10/21/2019 at 8:44 AM, Davybe said:

If you can be flexible and not to fussy about who and where you cruise, then a decent agent should be able to keep you informed of any "offers " for singles the cruise lines may have coming up.

But if your sticking with Cunard or P&O then you sadly you may miss those offers.

We were on a cruise a few years ago when Cunard offered past guests inside cabins for single occupancy for less than £50pn including coach travel, use a decent agent....Davybe

But sadly Davybe those sort of deals are few and far between.  For a solo to get a remotely decent deal, you either have to book as soon as booking opens or be in the right place at the right time and - as you have said - be incredibly flexible.  Many of us (even those no longer working) do have other commitments to work around so can't always just drop everything and go.  I am quite flexible in terms of cruise line (9 different ones so far) and destination but won't sail on large (>2000 pax) ships.  I certainly agree about using a decent TA though! 

16 hours ago, mitch said:

I wish I knew the answer Mitch, I wonder if you email the cruiseline requesting an explanation they may be forthcoming with a reply, unless you already have of course.

Wouldn't mind betting the answer would be something around supply and demand.

Unfortunately cruise pricing in general hasn't made sense for a long time.

HLM.

With the number of cruises on sale at any particular time, I would think a computer programme plays a part in this.  There are very few single cabins to start with so once they start selling, I would imagine the prices increase due - as HLM said above - supply & demand.

i registered for the pre sale of 2021/22 cruises for a 28 nighter starting nov 21. for a pe inside the lowest grade it was quoted as £2756. the single 3k+, anyway they called this morning to say the pe had sold out to the higher grades ligurian etc so the next one up would be £2821. looking at the website today its already 3k+ and the single still more.

so it has paid to get in early but if the few singles havent sold out how can they justify them still costing more than a double for single occupency.

so thankyou bolsover lol.

Just been doing a bit of cruise browsing and the itinerary for 14 night cruise on Iona October, 2020  caught my eye.

Checking the prices for single occupancy balcony, this is what I came up with.

Cheapest balcony with double occupancy £1372pp = £2744

Same cabin single occupancy £2064 .... quite a decent discount. 

Single balcony cabin £2111 .... £47.00 more expensive.

WHY !! 

This is one of the reasons solo travellers feel they are being fleeced. 

I’ve been saying for years that single cruisers get screwed over single cabins... if a double cabin is £1000 per person then the single cabin should be £1000. They should also put them in better locations on the ship.

in addition if a person does go for the double cabin with a single supplement then if there is obc they should also get the supplement percentage obc on top.

Its not fair for singles wherever they go on holiday...

8 hours ago, Pesky Pirate said:

I’ve been saying for years that single cruisers get screwed over single cabins... if a double cabin is £1000 per person then the single cabin should be £1000. They should also put them in better locations on the ship.

in addition if a person does go for the double cabin with a single supplement then if there is obc they should also get the supplement percentage obc on top.

Its not fair for singles wherever they go on holiday...

I agree Pesky it's not fair, but as I said before most of us get screwed over one way or another.

Examples like School holiday prices, kids having to pay adult prices, fluid pricing etc, etc.

The fact that is we know the downfalls of cruising, but we still do it!! :wacko:

HLM.