Sign in to follow this  
Jenjen

Cunard

Having not been on Cunard Queen Victoria for three years, I was looking forward to this cruise, we went on P&O in June this year so feel with up to date memories It pains me say the prices on Cunard for drinks are quite frankly ridiculous two single measure spirits plus a mixer £26 bottle of wine £40 the shops were o erpriced. The ship is still magnificent all areas clean I don’t think the service is as good as it was

I feel very sad about this as a long standing devoted Cunard passenger

Just my opinion, and experience 

Wow - that is steep.  I was last on Cunard about three and a half years ago and whilst I felt the drinks were expensive then, they now seem well over-the-top from what you say...

Dont forget that spirit measures on Cunard are 1oz (single) 2oz (double) and 1oz is virtually 30ml compared to standard size of 25 ml on P&O ships. Drinks are more expensive but not as expensive as on Princess.

On 24 October 2019 at 6:08 PM, Jenjen said:

Having not been on Cunard Queen Victoria for three years, I was looking forward to this cruise, we went on P&O in June this year so feel with up to date memories It pains me say the prices on Cunard for drinks are quite frankly ridiculous two single measure spirits plus a mixer £26 bottle of wine £40 the shops were o erpriced. The ship is still magnificent all areas clean I don’t think the service is as good as it was

I feel very sad about this as a long standing devoted Cunard passenger

Just my opinion, and experience 

Hi Jenjen, I agree that does sound rather expensive, is there still an 18% service charge on top or was that included in the prices you gave?

HLM.

4 hours ago, HLM said:

Hi Jenjen, I agree that does sound rather expensive, is there still an 18% service charge on top or was that included in the prices you gave?

HLM.

There has never been an 18% service charge on drinks on Cunard that is Princess that increased there's last year. Cunard charge 15% service charge on drinks and bottles of wine/champagne.

Are you sure you weren't served 'doubles' as this seems to be the 'norm' now unless you specifically ask for a single, most of the waiters do ask but not all of them. 

I would agree with you about the shops, since the new franchise took over they are not only over-priced but very limited in choice too.

I've just had a quick look at bar prices ( I don't sign the receipts so I genuinely don't know the prices )  a 2oz measure ( double ) averages between $10 - $12 depending on what you drink so it does look as if that is what you were served, personally I think it is rather naughty of Cunard because if people want doubles they will ask for them whereas you don't expect to have to ask for a single.

No this was not a double, it was single and then the mixer it is 15% service. Last time on Cunard a spirit was the price and the mixer was free, in a jug.

All I am saying is anything bought on board is expensive, so if anybody is doing a cruise with Cunard know to expect to pay high prices, this was the main topic of conversation from fellow passengers.

18 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

There has never been an 18% service charge on drinks on Cunard that is Princess that increased there's last year. Cunard charge 15% service charge on drinks and bottles of wine/champagne.

Hi Sinbad, thanks for confirming.

With that in mind I think it supports Jenjen's observations on their prices being rather high.

HLM.

18 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I think it is rather naughty of Cunard because if people want doubles they will ask for them whereas you don't expect to have to ask for a single.

I'd agree DQ, in line with most establishments you should be served a single and given the option to "double up" should you require.

This was insinuated on other forums that they are "doubling up" (not just Cunard I might add) without being requested.

I would assume the "service charge" goes directly to the servers so intern bumps up their earnings, I can see their logic so unless challenged they'll continue to do it.

HLM.

10 hours ago, Jenjen said:

All I am saying is anything bought on board is expensive, so if anybody is doing a cruise with Cunard know to expect to pay high prices, this was the main topic of conversation from fellow passengers.

That's good information Jenjen.

In your opinion do you think people are spending less because prices are so high?

HLM.

Good morning HLM, from the chats we had with other passengers yes I would say others are buying less, because they thought the prices were a ripoff! Nobody mind paying a bit extra your on holiday, but being that much overcharged is another thing not that your short of money that’s not the issue.

2 hours ago, Jenjen said:

Good morning HLM, from the chats we had with other passengers yes I would say others are buying less, because they thought the prices were a ripoff! Nobody mind paying a bit extra your on holiday, but being that much overcharged is another thing not that your short of money that’s not the issue.

Hi Jenjen.

I agree, when on holiday you expect to pay extra that's part and parcel of most things, however when prices are that high it's a matter of principle.

I'd imagine it's a catch 22 for Cunard, the less people spend the higher they price things to make up for it.

That makes an interesting business plan.

HLM.

I think we should remember that Cunard is an American company and everything is in $dollars. As the £GBP has gone down so it has made drinks and everything else on board more expensive. I can remember when my uncle came over from The States in the 50's there were 3 $dollars to 1 £GBP, what went wrong 🤔

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

Also if you take into account that drink price quoted earlier in thread if they were served a double and spirit measures being larger on Cunard then I dont think that you can say that Cunard spirits are a lot more higher than P&O. Having cruised on Cunard in last 12 months I do not think that 2 single measures of a spirit and mixers would cost £26 which would be approximately over $30 chances are they were served and charged for double measures.

Edited by sinbad10

20 hours ago, Jenjen said:

No this was not a double, it was single and then the mixer it is 15% service. Last time on Cunard a spirit was the price and the mixer was free, in a jug.

Hi JJ

I'm not questioning what you say just trying to offer an explanation because it would certainly appear if you had single measures they have charged you for doubles ( I'm resisting the urge to say 'ripped off' because I would like to think  Cunard wouldn't do this ) tbh if every time you went into a bar it was costing you £26 per round then I think this is something you need to take up with customer service because something isn't adding up.

Unfortunately the drinks menu won't copy/paste so to give an example of what two G&T's would cost using Bombay Sapphire with canned/bottled mixers.

1 oz  $6.95 + mixer  $3.50 = $10.45 x 2 = $20.90 converted to GBP = £16.29

2 oz  $9.95 + mixer  $3.50 = $13.45 x 2 = $26.90 converted to GBP = £20.97

The fountain mixer is $1.75 which would reduce the price further, I do have to agree with you until a couple of years ago the fountain mixer was foc .. I don't like it anyway so never benefited.

If you want to check other prices here is the link to the PDF file ( scroll down to page 8 ) .

https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/marketing-assets/pdf/life-on-board/qe-golden-lion.pdf  

I know like me you are a Cunard fan but it's things like this which leave a sour taste so I would definitely take it up with them and ask them for an explanation.

Edited by *Dancing Queen*

On 10/26/2019 at 8:41 PM, Jenjen said:

I think my only disappointment with Cunard was the shops.  I used to love mooching around the shops on P&O. I rarely went to the shops on Cunard. I found the selection of clothing poor and everything over-priced. 

We bought the wine packages to drink in the evening at dinner but of course they can't be used in the bars. At least we saved up to 25% buying the wine packages.