Sign in to follow this  
Dysart Cruisers

ITINERARY CHANGES

It seems to be becoming very rare to book a cruise with P & O without getting a subsequent itinerary change (usually advised at the last minute). Is anyone else getting this or are we just unlucky. It is very annoying particularly when the excuse is 'no berth available' We need to know because if it is just unlucky, I need to cancel my lottery ticket.

6 hours ago, Dysart Cruisers said:

It is very annoying particularly when the excuse is 'no berth available'

Yes I'd agree, especially when these berths are allegedly booked a year or two in advance.

The question is, why put ports of call on the itinerary if the know they haven't got a berth?

HLM.

We have not experienced any port changes, AFAICR, with any of our more than a dozen cruises with P&O over the last 8 years, but all except one have been on their bigger ships, I wonder if the problem is more with the smaller ports that their mid sized ships visit?

However we have had one port change mid cruise due to bad weather preventing Britannia from tendering at Monaco, so the captain found us a berth at Ajaccio instead, which was a bonus for us as my wife uses a wheelchair and cannot pass the step over test.

Edited by towny44

Inclement weather etc is beyond the cruiselines control, I believe the point being made here is the excuse that there is "no berth available" which is not acceptable when these berths are booked in advance.

P&O or any other cruiseline shouldn't put ports of call on their itinerary if they haven't secured a berth, by doing so is deceitful in my opinion.

HLM.

Only ever happened to me once on a Princess Cruise where a change of Port was necessary due to the lack of berths at Genoa. Fortunately for me, Genoa was substituted with a visit to the pretty port of Santa Margherita, as I was planning a visit to Portofino this worked in well. Passengers who were hoping to visit Milan were not quite as happy.

As you say HLM inclement weather is beyond cruise lines control. Again with Princess, Cannes was on the itinerary as a tender port, which unfortunately had to be cancelled, the Captain announced he could get us ashore in the morning, the problem would be getting us back onboard in the afternoon due to the weather forecast in the area. Disappointed - yes of course, but I’m happy to go with an experienced Captains knowledge. 

On 11/14/2019 at 10:53 PM, Dysart Cruisers said:

It seems to be becoming very rare to book a cruise with P & O without getting a subsequent itinerary change (usually advised at the last minute). Is anyone else getting this or are we just unlucky. It is very annoying particularly when the excuse is 'no berth available' We need to know because if it is just unlucky, I need to cancel my lottery ticket.

We have only had a couple of changes and these have been due to bad weather, so we must be the lucky ones. We just accept these things happen.

We’ve missed ports due to bad weather but also due to maintenance work at the port & most recently we missed out Dublin  as the ship couldn’t get into its allocated berth.

When we have missed ports due to bad weather or other issues whilst cruising with Princess they have always returned your port fees/taxes within 24hrs to your onboard account but P&O do not return them and if not docking in berths so no port fees/taxes are paid keep them purely as profit.

Edited by sinbad10

53 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

When we have missed ports due to bad weather or other issues whilst cruising with Princess they have always returned your port fees/taxes within 24hrs to your onboard account but P&O do not return them and if not docking in berths so no port fees/taxes are paid keep them purely as profit.

Princess show port charges as a separate entry on your invoice, P&O roll them up in the fare with all their other costs, maybe that's why they never refund them.

1 hour ago, towny44 said:

Princess show port charges as a separate entry on your invoice, P&O roll them up in the fare with all their other costs, maybe that's why they never refund them.

Nothing to do with it it is the American way to show cruise fare with port fees/taxes as extra but when you book with Princess in UK the price quoted includes port fees/taxes because that is the British way of pricing cruises. When I contacted P&O asking why they dont refund port taxes/fees when ports are missed so they are not paid they initially denied that they charge their customers port fees/taxes and when I challenged that and said so you pay them yourself as a company without passing on the charge they finally admitted they include them in the cruise price as that is the British way. When asked why then dont they refund them was told that P&O have a company policy to keep them and not reimburse to customers.

1 hour ago, sinbad10 said:

Nothing to do with it it is the American way to show cruise fare with port fees/taxes as extra but when you book with Princess in UK the price quoted includes port fees/taxes because that is the British way of pricing cruises. When I contacted P&O asking why they dont refund port taxes/fees when ports are missed so they are not paid they initially denied that they charge their customers port fees/taxes and when I challenged that and said so you pay them yourself as a company without passing on the charge they finally admitted they include them in the cruise price as that is the British way. When asked why then dont they refund them was told that P&O have a company policy to keep them and not reimburse to customers.

I imagine that Princess in Europe will still have predominantly US passengers who expect to have their port fees reimbursed if missed, and either they are just too idle to differentiate or more likely they don't want rioting Brits when they find the Yanks have had a refund.😎

14 hours ago, towny44 said:

I imagine that Princess in Europe will still have predominantly US passengers who expect to have their port fees reimbursed if missed, and either they are just too idle to differentiate or more likely they don't want rioting Brits when they find the Yanks have had a refund.😎

This was a cruise sailing from Southampton with a large number of UK passengers and apparently is normal company practice by Princess wherever the ships are sailing and given to all customers affected disregarding their nationality. It could be said it is a company following good practice when charging you for something which they have not had to pay and reimbursing costs, unlike P&O who include port fees/taxes in cruise price and underhandedly keep the monies paid by customers even though they havent incurred charges to boost their profits.

Edited by sinbad10

Port charges and taxes are listed separately by American cruise lines because they are non commissionable items.  We have always had port charges refunded while on board if ports are missed.  The payment is by refundable on board credit, so if not used it is paid back to your credit card.

1 hour ago, sinbad10 said:

This was a cruise sailing from Southampton with a large number of UK passengers and apparently is normal company practice by Princess wherever the ships are sailing and given to all customers affected disregarding their nationality. It could be said it is a company following good practice when charging you for something which they have not had to pay and reimbursing costs, unlike P&O who include port fees/taxes in cruise price and underhandedly keep the monies paid by customers even though they havent incurred charges to boost their profits.

Whilst I agree that P&O will be "boosting" their profits, as you put it, by not refunding missed port charges, I would point out to you that P&O prices are a good 10-20% (or maybe even more in some cases) below those charged by Princess, both of which are in the Carnival stable.  I think I prefer to let them keep the odd £50 or so for a missed port, rather than see their fares and drink increase to Princess levels.

5 hours ago, towny44 said:

Whilst I agree that P&O will be "boosting" their profits, as you put it, by not refunding missed port charges, I would point out to you that P&O prices are a good 10-20% (or maybe even more in some cases) below those charged by Princess, both of which are in the Carnival stable.  I think I prefer to let them keep the odd £50 or so for a missed port, rather than see their fares and drink increase to Princess levels.

Depends on when you book and if you book at right time you can get deals far better than P&O Saver fares but still able to choose your stateroom and dinner sitting where with P&O you cannot.

2 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Depends on when you book and if you book at right time you can get deals far better than P&O Saver fares but still able to choose your stateroom and dinner sitting where with P&O you cannot.

That maybe so but you won't find any accessible cabins if you book late.

On the other hand on our July cruise we had to hurry up to Reykjavik due to a medical emergency so had an extra 1\2 day & overnight there & also got back to Southampton a day early due to ship maintenance work so had overnight there (we weren’t allowed off the ship). The missed port of Dublin changed to an overnight in Cobh but working out the new port charges would have taken some doing 🤔