Sign in to follow this  
Countrygirl

P & O - On line checkin

I have just received an email, suggesting the On line checkin service, has anybody used it.

How does it work, they still need to take your picture and issue your cruise cards.

thanks in advance

I've not done it but have seen some feedback on another forum (sshhhh 😁).  Apparently they scan your passport and the photo from that then links through to the ship's system.  Everything else, including registering your credit card is done on line.  Those that have done it have been very positive and said it is much quicker.

3 hours ago, Scribeswtr said:

Royal Caribbean presumably have used a system similar to the US Homeland Immigration use to tie in withe ESTA’s.

I doubt that sailings from the UK will require ESTAs, and that will be most UK cruisers experience of the on line check in.

7 minutes ago, towny44 said:

I doubt that sailings from the UK will require ESTAs, and that will be most UK cruisers experience of the on line check in.

I said that the system used by Royal Caribbean is similar to the one used by the US government which they’ve used for some years.  As Royal Caribbean are a US cruise line they obviously introduced it in a similar timescale.  P&O are just catching up, also being part of the Carnival group, which is also Carnival owned.  Incidentally, if you are sailing from Southampton to New York you definitely need an ESTA though that was not the point of my initial comment.  I was just suggesting a similarity in the registration devices being used.

9 hours ago, Scribeswtr said:

I said that the system used by Royal Caribbean is similar to the one used by the US government which they’ve used for some years.  As Royal Caribbean are a US cruise line they obviously introduced it in a similar timescale.  P&O are just catching up, also being part of the Carnival group, which is also Carnival owned.  Incidentally, if you are sailing from Southampton to New York you definitely need an ESTA though that was not the point of my initial comment.  I was just suggesting a similarity in the registration devices being used.

I assume you're not suggesting that RCI is part of the Carnival group?   RCI own Celebrity and Azamara, a major part of Silversea and 50% of TUI cruises and Pullmantur, and if it hadn't been for the greed of the P&O board they might also have owned P&O and Princess cruises.

Correct.  I do know and never suggested that RCI had anything to do with the Carnival Group.  If you read my previous note correctly I was merely suggesting why RCI may have used their US links to introduce online check-in for sometime before it was taken up in the UK.

Not sure what the behaviour of the board of P&O and Princess has anything to do with this post and frankly, I’m not interested. 😩

1 hour ago, Countrygirl said:

Thanks for the replies, I will let you know how we get on,  we embark on Tuesday 

I’m sure it will work well for you and will hopefully speed up the boarding process.  Have a great trip.

On 2/4/2020 at 6:21 PM, Countrygirl said:

How does it work, they still need to take your picture and issue your cruise cards.

It was in April 2015 that I first used the RCI on line booking in system for the inaugural voyage of Anthem of the Seas. You uploaded all your details including credit card details and photo and then printed out the paperwork which had a bar code on it. On entry to the arrival hall at Southampton you gave the paper with the bar code  to one of the numerous cruise reception staff who scanned it into their tablet and through you went to security and onto the ship. Your key cards were already in your cabin waiting for you.  17 minutes from parking on the quayside to entering my cabin. Used it many times since and no problems. It would appear they designed a system that works.

Hopefully you can still check in with a real person at the terminal. I struggle with downloading photos ( still use a proper camera)  & have never put my credit card details on line.

Had an e-mail from P&O 5 weeks ago asking me to follow links and check in online. When I tried got a message saying 'online check-in not available until 1st March'  On 1st March tried again and have been trying several times a day since. Get partway through the process then it sticks and won't load any further. According to P&O 'they are aware there are problems and will have to check in as normal as they may not be fixed before we sail '