Sign in to follow this  
Jenjen

Never thought Cunard and P&O

The email today that Cunard and P&O would sail back to Southampton empty, and suspend cruises until April 11 th ?

with no med ports to dock at I did wonder what would happen and not just the Med, Norway the Baltic the world is getting smaller 

As I said in my last post, I could not cope being confined to my cabin, nor not being to dock at ports.

this will have a effect on all cruise lines sadly

Arrived home this morning. We were refused entry to Casablanca and Gibraltar. Docked in Malaga a day early but weren't allowed off the ship until yesterday and then only to board the coaches to the airport. Have to say that the Capt. Steve James, his officers and crew on Marella Dream were fantastic. Regular updates from the bridge and a crew that kept smiling even though they don't know their future and in many cases are thousands of miles from home. 

Its a terrible situation for all cruise lines and they are going to take a big hit for a while. As you say, also dreadful for all the crew. It might dent the market for a year or so but then I am sure it will bounce back.  Just as well I wasn't thinking of selling my Carnival shares in the foreseeable future... 

14 minutes ago, Jenjen said:

Not a bad idea, better than loo rolls

Think you would be better off buying shares in loo roll manufacturers than Carnival at the moment as there is a very high chance of Carnival going under and it will not be only loo roll going down the toilet.

2 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

What is this based on Sinbad10?

Borrowing $3bn https://travelweekly.co.uk/articles/363253/carnival-corportion-agrees-3bn-in-borrowing-as-cruises-halted and the collapse of their share price, payment of new build ships yet to be delivered or built and the high chance that they will struggle to attract new customers to fill super cruise ships after recent publicity putting off new customers.

Thanks for that sinbad10.

This is one I picked up from the NYSM re RCI. https://seekingalpha.com/article/4333021-take-long-view-royal-caribbean-cruises?mod=mw_quote_news

This one from an analyst relating to CCL. https://seekingalpha.com/article/4332081-carnival-corp-and-real-value

At the end of the day I suppose it comes down to the qualifications of the writer and who you believe.

On 3/18/2020 at 11:16 AM, Oldworldtraveller said:

Could be a good time to buy though, £7.96 per share this morning and RCI closed at $25.68 down from a high of $132.

I don't really cruise with lines in the RCI stable enough to make it worth my while...

On 3/19/2020 at 12:15 PM, sinbad10 said:

Think you would be better off buying shares in loo roll manufacturers than Carnival at the moment as there is a very high chance of Carnival going under and it will not be only loo roll going down the toilet.

If there is a high chance of Carnival Corp going under, then there is a pretty good chance of most cruise lines going under.  Not impossible but unlikely imho...  Then of course there is all the land-based tour operators and airlines...  Then of course all the cafes, restaurants, bars etc.  I am sure governments will come up with some sort of strategy to help the world through the massive depression ahead.

Today don’t think it’s a good time  to play the stock market if we come out of this time money is going to be short, prices sky high, our Government has not got the money for all the bailout projects 

only my humble opinion of causes 

8 minutes ago, Jenjen said:

Today don’t think it’s a good time  to play the stock market if we come out of this time money is going to be short, prices sky high, our Government has not got the money for all the bailout projects 

only my humble opinion of causes 

The only consolation Jenjen is that much of the world will be in the same boat (pardon the pun).

On 3/19/2020 at 12:15 PM, sinbad10 said:

I see that both RCI and Carnival shares are on the rise. £8.28 for Carnival and $28.23 for RCI. Slow but steady, will it continue.

1 hour ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

I see that both RCI and Carnival shares are on the rise. £8.28 for Carnival and $28.23 for RCI. Slow but steady, will it continue.

They both have a long way to go after losing over 82% of their value.

They were higher day before yesterday and then they fell again yesterday and have now risen again so very volatile and still a very big gamble and you could still lose a lot of money.

After Spanish flu we had a big, big stock market crash 

Anybody could play the long game, seeing a investment rise, even up a lot, than could go bang. I for one could not risk that.

my. Biggest hope me and mine come out  this alive, if my holiday is the back garden with something to eat and a bit of sunshine so be it.

to all, stay safe, stay well.

nice to share thoughts

9 minutes ago, Jenjen said:

After Spanish flu we had a big, big stock market crash 

Anybody could play the long game, seeing a investment rise, even up a lot, than could go bang. I for one could not risk that.

my. Biggest hope me and mine come out  this alive, if my holiday is the back garden with something to eat and a bit of sunshine so be it.

to all, stay safe, stay well.

nice to share thoughts

I believe the wall st crash in 1929 followed a massive, unsustainable post WW1 boom, so Spanish Flu just after the war did not seem to have such a negative market effect.

But that's not to say that Covid19 won't result in a massive depression.

Like most folk, I only bought Carnival Shares for the obc.  When I stop sailing with P&O (and all the other Carnival Brands), I will make sure I sell them without loss, even if I have to wait a while.

I was given mine over 30years ago seems amazing that we were given them with our wages! When they were not worth so much, but like you adds OBC 

It was when they became Carnival share the value went up so much,