Sign in to follow this  
sinbad10

Bolsover Cruise Club

Whilst I appreciate the unprecedented times that are happening currently I am very upset that by being responsible and not contacting Bolsover or Cunard because my cruise is scheduled to depart on 6th May and so is not imminent my position has worsened. As of today I can no longer have part cash and part FCC if I cancel the cruise but now can only have FCC which is no use to me. I already have 2 cruises booked through Bolsover with Cunard one for October 2020 and 1 for November 2021 I also have 2 further cruises booked with them with P&O for May and August 2021. I cannot physically book another cruise next year but will not allow me to use FCC on existing booking and so was going to cancel and have at least part of my cruise payment in cash. This because I have been responsible and wiated before contacting Bolsover I am now in a worse position. There is now a strong possibility that my only option is to cancel and have a FCC of 110% of value of my cruise  which like I stated previously is useless to me. Therefore I will lose my full cost of cruise so Cunard will not lose out and I should imagine if this happens Bolsover will still receive their commission. So its a WIN WIN situation for Cunard and Bolsover and I lose everything. Great customer service from both Cunard /Bolsover thank you very much. 

4 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Whilst I appreciate the unprecedented times that are happening currently I am very upset that by being responsible and not contacting Bolsover or Cunard because my cruise is scheduled to depart on 6th May and so is not imminent my position has worsened. As of today I can no longer have part cash and part FCC if I cancel the cruise but now can only have FCC which is no use to me. I already have 2 cruises booked through Bolsover with Cunard one for October 2020 and 1 for November 2021 I also have 2 further cruises booked with them with P&O for May and August 2021. I cannot physically book another cruise next year but will not allow me to use FCC on existing booking and so was going to cancel and have at least part of my cruise payment in cash. This because I have been responsible and wiated before contacting Bolsover I am now in a worse position. There is now a strong possibility that my only option is to cancel and have a FCC of 110% of value of my cruise  which like I stated previously is useless to me. Therefore I will lose my full cost of cruise so Cunard will not lose out and I should imagine if this happens Bolsover will still receive their commission. So its a WIN WIN situation for Cunard and Bolsover and I lose everything. Great customer service from both Cunard /Bolsover thank you very much. 

You can always wait until P&O announce that your cruise is cancelled, then they are obliged to give you a full refund under the package travel rules.

1 hour ago, towny44 said:

You can always wait until P&O announce that your cruise is cancelled, then they are obliged to give you a full refund under the package travel rules.

My cruise is with Cunard.

Is the issue that the May cruise, on Cunard, may not take place? If it is cancelled then as Towny44 has said you would be entitled to a full refund. Many believe that by October sailing will be taking place again. If this is not the case you will again be due a full refund.

I would also suggest you look at your travel insurance, as I have, because I would be able to claim if the FCO advisory guidance is either not to travel due to age or medical condition or that only essential travel is recommended. I realise you have have to pay an excess but at least the majority of the cist would be returned.

4 minutes ago, Captain Kidd II said:

Is the issue that the May cruise, on Cunard, may not take place? If it is cancelled then as Towny44 has said you would be entitled to a full refund. Many believe that by October sailing will be taking place again. If this is not the case you will again be due a full refund.

I would also suggest you look at your travel insurance, as I have, because I would be able to claim if the FCO advisory guidance is either not to travel due to age or medical condition or that only essential travel is recommended. I realise you have have to pay an excess but at least the majority of the cist would be returned.

i cannot claim on my travel insurance because I have no reason to make a claim or for them to pay out as FCO guidance doesnt apply to my age and have no medical reason. As it is at the moment  the cruise has not been officially cancelled by Cunard and if it is then obviously  I will get a full refund. Up to today I could claim part cash and part FCC but that has now been taken away from me and can only have FCC which as I said previously is no good to me. Presently I am hoping for Cunard to cancel the cruise so that I can get a full refund if they dont then I have to cruise on what will more than likely be a roundtrip TA with very few cruisers onboard and little or no entertainment at all and no prospect of getting off the ship in New York or to have a total loss if I cancel.

Hi Sinbad.

In these unprecedented and uncertain times we as a Travel Agent can only deal with the terms that the Cruise Operators are setting and we have no knowledge or foreword if they are going to change these.  Bearing in mind the thousands of customers and phone calls that we are dealing with then we communicate the changes of terms to the best of our ability to our customers, this is in addition to the communication that the cruise operators are sending direct to passengers.   As the government have advised that the peak of this pandemic is not going to be for 10-12 weeks then the chances of your cruise actually running are slim to none, so the best advice would be to hang fire with any action, if Cunard cancel the cruise you would then get a full refund, if it is still running and you choose not to go then at that stage you could still cancel and get the same future cruise credit that you would get by cancelling now.  I am sorry if you think we haven’t offered you good customer service, However, I have to respectfully disagree, our team is working flat out to the best of their ability to deal with this once in a lifetime event and we are amazingly proud of how great they are.

I can not see any cruise sailing in May, it would have no ports open, hang on Sinbad it will turn out ok I’m sure. It’s the uncertain aspect that causes the most stress

From what I have seen, the majority of the mainstream cruise lines all changed their Ts & Cs recently with regard to cancellation, with less favourable terms with FCC etc.  I do appreciate it is very frustrating for you Sinbad but as there is no chance that ships will be sailing in May, at least you will be able to get your full refund.  Unfortunately many of the big lines are being very slow to react to the ongoing situation.  I was due to be on a Fred Olsen cruise in May but very sensibly, they reacted by cancelling all cruises until 23rd May as a first plan.  That seems much more appropriate.  I feel very sorry for the workers on the ground at Cunard/P&O and those in Travel Agencies too - it must be a nightmare for them.

On 3/20/2020 at 12:57 PM, WShutt said:

Hi Sinbad.

In these unprecedented and uncertain times we as a Travel Agent can only deal with the terms that the Cruise Operators are setting and we have no knowledge or foreword if they are going to change these.  Bearing in mind the thousands of customers and phone calls that we are dealing with then we communicate the changes of terms to the best of our ability to our customers, this is in addition to the communication that the cruise operators are sending direct to passengers.   As the government have advised that the peak of this pandemic is not going to be for 10-12 weeks then the chances of your cruise actually running are slim to none, so the best advice would be to hang fire with any action, if Cunard cancel the cruise you would then get a full refund, if it is still running and you choose not to go then at that stage you could still cancel and get the same future cruise credit that you would get by cancelling now.  I am sorry if you think we haven’t offered you good customer service, However, I have to respectfully disagree, our team is working flat out to the best of their ability to deal with this once in a lifetime event and we are amazingly proud of how great they are.

Thank you for you prompt reply with regards to your statement  highlighted above is this statement not correct and the reason why cruise lines and travel agents waiting to cancel further cruises after the current date so that the law will be changed by government with regarding cash refunds as published in the Independent https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/package-holiday-refund-rules-suspended-abta-coronavirus-a9417261.html. Surely cruise lines and TAs have prior knowledge of this and once again sending out incorrect information just to protect their own self interest and not at the customers interest. Your statement and advice that I wait and Cunard will be forced to give me a full refund therefore an incorrect assumption in that cruise lines and TAs are just biding their time so that the government will change the law to the benefit of cruise lines and TAs with total disregard to the passenger and the information being given at best misleading or at worst not printable. I eagerly await your response.

The information above was correct when I replied to your email and as things stand are still correct.  If the government change the regulations or plan to change the regulations in the near future then we would have no knowledge of this in advance.  As an agent all we can do is pass on the latest information given to us by our cruise operator partners.  What I think you need to appreciate is that this is a situation that has never happened before in the world and as such plans and regulations need to adapt with the ever changing pandemic, whilst there is no imminent danger some of these companies may be fighting for their survival if the situation continues for a lengthy period of time.   Whilst I understand you are unhappy, our customers have always been and will remain our number one priority, we have been battling this situation since January, when the first cruises across Asia were cancelled, including the complex repatriation of stranded clients, to then facing global cruise suspensions as many countries closed their borders, our team is very fatigued, but they are all here together, battling along and with a team spirit that remains strong with lots of staff from all departments giving up their own time to help man the phones. So to suggest that we are only protecting our self interest is quite frankly very insulting and completely untrue.  This will be my last reply on the matter as I have thousands of other customers to help who do appreciate the help and advice we are giving.

Certainly do not think, and I know this might upset a lot on here but can only speak personally, that Bolsover are not coming out of the present situation very well. I have a cruise booked in May and being responsible like many others held back from contacting Bolsover because my cruise wasnt imminent. Me like many others are now in a worst position due to the change of policy by Cunard/P&O on 19th March have now seen a worsening of terms offered. Worried about the rumour that the government might be changing the law so that as advised by Bolsover in above post to hang on as my cruise will more than likely be cancelled soon and have a full cash refund this might not be the case and only a credit voucher will be given and only a cash refund after 2 years. With this in mind I phoned Bolsover and even though I appreciate the situation they are in not surprisingly she advised me to cancel my cruise now and receive a FCC of 110% rather than transfer booking. I have 5 cruises currently booked with Bolsover for 20/21 so struggling for varying reasons to book even more. Every question I asked all she said was you will have to contact Cunard direct which we all know all they will say is speak to your TA. Feel that Bolsover are not being helpful in the customers best interests  and advising everybody to have a FCC as it protects there own future and Cunard's with no thought or help and was not interested in the fact that having 5 cruises already booked I should find the time, space and money to book a further cruise.

wow aren't you a dog with a bone Sinbad, cant you just look outside your own little bubble a minute and see what is going on, of course not it doesn't then fit your own agenda.  By the way the story in the independent isn't entirely accurate so don't use that as your bible.   The latest information to come from ABTA and the Government is that the package travel regulations are not changing but being extended for a short while, this will mean that tour and cruise operators , where they have cancelled a holiday, can offer a Refund Credit Note initially rather than a refund, this will only be active until 31 July 2020 when if not used the credit note can be exchanged for cash at that point not in two years.  Shouldn't really believe fake news. And I agree with Wshutt above that it is very unfair to blame Bolsover Cruise Club, they don't make up the rules just pass them on.  We need to pull together as a country through this and think of the bigger picture. 

Sinbad, you are not the only one with future cruises booked via Bolsover, and quite likely to suffer some sort of financial loss as this situation evolves. But screaming about your personal situation without appearing to care for how others are affected  will not endear you to anyone on the forum.

Having just read this blog I am shocked at what SINBAD has written. We were booked to sail on 24 July with CUNARD. I have had lots of e-mails from them explaining all the options that we have. As we are both 70 and I have heart trouble CUNARD advised me not to sail. I rang BOLSOVER but the lines were very busy but, the next morning I got a call from them to see what they could do for me as my number came up as a missed call. This is why we book with BOLSOVER because they CARE. I explained what CUNARD had e-mailed to me and asked if our deposit could be used to book another cruise. This she did. The next day the girl rang me to explain what CUNARD wanted me to do because if I cancelled the July one they would give me 125% FCC not as you say 110 

16 hours ago, terrierian said:

Having just read this blog I am shocked at what SINBAD has written. We were booked to sail on 24 July with CUNARD. I have had lots of e-mails from them explaining all the options that we have. As we are both 70 and I have heart trouble CUNARD advised me not to sail. I rang BOLSOVER but the lines were very busy but, the next morning I got a call from them to see what they could do for me as my number came up as a missed call. This is why we book with BOLSOVER because they CARE. I explained what CUNARD had e-mailed to me and asked if our deposit could be used to book another cruise. This she did. The next day the girl rang me to explain what CUNARD wanted me to do because if I cancelled the July one they would give me 125% FCC not as you say 110 

From what I have seen, many cruise lines started by offering FCC of 125% but subsequently, most have reduced it to 110% or even just 100%.

Now Cunard have suspended their sailings until 15th May, it seems the advice given by WShutt not to cancel your booking has been proved right.

According to Cunard's website, any cruises which have been affected by the cancellation are being offered 125% FCC or 100% cash refund by completing their on-line form.

If this is the case you should receive your 100% refund. 

I understand it’s disappointing to miss a much anticipated cruise. I was due to sail on 6th April and Bolsover were most helpful with my cancellation

These are unprecedented times and we are all in it together.

8 hours ago, TrentAnn said:

it seems the advice given by WShutt not to cancel your booking has been proved right.

Absolutely. Difficult at times to sit back and take the advice of others, however in instances like this its a good idea to take their advice. They are not going to give bad advice as they don't want to lose a customers future bookings.