Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dozydo

Annual insurance

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know what’s happening to our annual insurance?  If we book a cruise for, say, October Insurer will not cover us so we are stuck. . In our 80s insurance wasn’t cheap and the months are ticking by.   Anybody able to clarify this please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it depends who you are with but a friend of ours contacted their insurers as they could not use the policy due to government guidance and managed to have it extended to include next year. They had requested a refund due to government advisory not to travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having recently renewed my annual Gold policy through Just Travel to cover my cruise on Azura which was departing on            19th April. I contacted the company to see what my options would be and to my amazement they offered me a full refund even though the 14 day cooling off period was well passed. Service was excellent and my card payment was refunded in days.

Always worth asking the question, I was pleasantly surprised. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We renewed our annual insurance last week as we have 2 cruises booked in the next 12 months as well as the one in June which we’re  still waiting to be cancelled. The price hadn’t risen too much but it doesn’t cover Coronavirus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should also add that we’ve gone with Staysure Insurance this time & they are currently giving 15 months cover for the price of 12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could I suggest that when enquiring for new insurance you ask these 2 questions of the insurance company.

1. Does the insurance include cruise and helicopter evacuation in cases of medical emergency to a private hospital as public health care in some countries leaves a lot to be desired .

2. Am I required to be treated at a public hospital only and only use public ambulances.

The reason for the second one is important as follows. 2 summers ago I was in Bulgaria when friends in the next apartment arrived. Unfortunately the lady tripped getting out of the taxi and was in so much pain she had to be carried to the apartment. She was 79 years of age. The following day she was in agony, could not walk so I contacted the insurance company for them and explained the situation. Their instructions were that a public ambulance was to used and she was to be taken to a public hospital. I explained the nearest hospital was 2 miles away whilst the public hospital was 30 miles away and in our area there were only private ambulances which is why residents had private health insurance. They agreed to pay for the ambulance but insisted the lady went to the public hospital. The ambulance duly arrived with a doctor who immediately diagnosed a fractured hip and said she should go to the nearest hospital. To cut a long story short her hip was broken in 2 places and moving her was not recommended. It cost the husband nearly £11,000 but he did get some back after months of argument and a threat of legal action. I checked with my own insurers who said with them you go to the nearest hospital even if private and you are covered. My view has always been "You get what you pay for'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Could I suggest that when enquiring for new insurance you ask these 2 questions of the insurance company.

1. Does the insurance include cruise and helicopter evacuation in cases of medical emergency to a private hospital as public health care in some countries leaves a lot to be desired .

2. Am I required to be treated at a public hospital only and only use public ambulances.

The reason for the second one is important as follows. 2 summers ago I was in Bulgaria when friends in the next apartment arrived. Unfortunately the lady tripped getting out of the taxi and was in so much pain she had to be carried to the apartment. She was 79 years of age. The following day she was in agony, could not walk so I contacted the insurance company for them and explained the situation. Their instructions were that a public ambulance was to used and she was to be taken to a public hospital. I explained the nearest hospital was 2 miles away whilst the public hospital was 30 miles away and in our area there were only private ambulances which is why residents had private health insurance. They agreed to pay for the ambulance but insisted the lady went to the public hospital. The ambulance duly arrived with a doctor who immediately diagnosed a fractured hip and said she should go to the nearest hospital. To cut a long story short her hip was broken in 2 places and moving her was not recommended. It cost the husband nearly £11,000 but he did get some back after months of argument and a threat of legal action. I checked with my own insurers who said with them you go to the nearest hospital even if private and you are covered. My view has always been "You get what you pay for'.

Whenever I have asked varying insurance companies  when renewing my annual insurance policy does the insurance cover evacuation from a cruise ship for medical reasons they have all given the same answer that the policy covers for all eventualities up to the maximum cover in policy which in most policies if like mine presently is £10 million for medical emergencies. The only variation is some travel insurance policies do not cover for cruises at all which you have to make sure of.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the subject of insurance we were going to Mallorca next week for a land base getaway we insure with Staysure, usually a annual policy, but this year we took single trip, as we did not have a cruise booked and because of the situation we are in now just had single trip cover, spoke to them today, because we are not able to go, they have put the cover on hold for 12 months, which in my book is very good, because we could have lost our money, the flights and hotel have given us a refund.

I have only posted this, because I think they are a good company

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats worth knowing as I have mine through Bupa and they have decided to stop doing travel insurance so am looking for another company to go with.

sorry about the bold, couldn’t change it 😱

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Pesky Pirate said:

mine through Bupa and they have decided to stop doing travel insurance

I spoke with my insurance company yesterday who are AXA and they too have stop issuing travel insurance unless like myself you are renewing your yearly policy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess, if renewal is the only option, it puts paid to the annual ritual of seeking competitive quotes to knock the renewal price down.  No doubt insurers will also be looking to recoup some of their extraordinary losses during recent months and the months to come.

DavidH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My insurance company (Explorer) are saying that no-one is covering corona virus cancellations, other than falling ill  with it on approved travel, so they won`t be having huge losses. I`ve 2 land based trips coming up - Spain end of June and Madeira in September. My annual cover comes to an end in late July . he June trip is an Easyjet flight with privately booked accommodation through an agent. I expect  Easyjet will cancel and are currently offering refunds but accommodation in Spain might be open then. Checked to see if insurance would cover accommodation if so and told no - nobody is covering covad 19. For the Madeira trip the company (Fleetway) have stopped posting on facebook (mid March) and tell everyone to claim from their travel insurance - even when people know they`ve been refunded by hotels and airlines. Clearly wrong bu o travel insurance company will cover that. Means court or bank card claims although many are saying the banks won`t get involved either. Collective buckpassing to ensure they don`t go bust!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thread which I have only just picked up.   In March, I contacted Saga about our annual insurance, renewed at end of February and they were extremely dismissive - no refund, no extension - travel could be undertaken later in the year so the policy would still be in force.  April/May are our holiday months so that’s lost.  I  shall remember the aforementioned  companies when looking for insurance next time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Panda said:

Interesting thread which I have only just picked up.   In March, I contacted Saga about our annual insurance, renewed at end of February and they were extremely dismissive - no refund, no extension - travel could be undertaken later in the year so the policy would still be in force.  April/May are our holiday months so that’s lost.  I  shall remember the aforementioned  companies when looking for insurance next time. 

Hi Panda,

Hope you don't mind my asking but, why take out an annual policy if you only require cover for 2 months in the year?

DavidH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should have said main holiday months.  It usually works out better value than two or three single policies and also covers any UK breaks which also look unlikely in the foreseeable future.  Never mind.  The garden is looking great and I have, for once, seen it’s  progression instead of coming home and deadheading the flowers I’ve missed!! Seeds got sown early and are thriving from the constant attention.   Also, we have managed to re-decorate three rooms when the sun wasn’t shining.  So some absolute positives.  Lucky to live on the edge of the countryside with loads of green spaces and open skies. Feel so sorry for city dwellers and hope this lockdown can be eased for their sakes at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have today received the renewal notice from LV for our Annual Travel Insurance policy which has a renewal date of 1 June.  With no apparent change to the Premier cover level which we have and based on our current area of cover (we have worldwide excluding North and Central America, Caribbean and Bahamas) the premium quoted is almost 30% up on what we paid this time last year.

As I referred to in an earlier post, with price comparison websites out of action for travel insurance, it makes a challenge to the price quoted somewhat difficult.

DavidH

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 5/11/2020 at 1:31 PM, DavidH said:

Have today received the renewal notice from LV for our Annual Travel Insurance policy which has a renewal date of 1 June.  With no apparent change to the Premier cover level which we have and based on our current area of cover (we have worldwide excluding North and Central America, Caribbean and Bahamas) the premium quoted is almost 30% up on what we paid this time last year.

As I referred to in an earlier post, with price comparison websites out of action for travel insurance, it makes a challenge to the price quoted somewhat difficult.

DavidH

 

After some internet research, a disappointing telephone conversation with a rather rude and very aggressive guy from Staysure and further discussion with current insurers, LV, we have gone with Saga for the next 12 months.  Very surprised, as Saga were hugely expensive the last time I looked at them - mind you, that was in 2005!!!!

As always, hoping we never have to claim on it.

DavidH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DavidH said:

 

After some internet research, a disappointing telephone conversation with a rather rude and very aggressive guy from Staysure and further discussion with current insurers, LV, we have gone with Saga for the next 12 months.  Very surprised, as Saga were hugely expensive the last time I looked at them - mind you, that was in 2005!!!!

As always, hoping we never have to claim on it.

DavidH

What level of covid cover are Saga offering David?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, towny44 said:

What level of covid cover are Saga offering David?

Please note, from 6pm on 13th March 2020, any new Saga Travel Insurance policies will not provide cover for claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Please note, from 6pm on 13th March 2020, any new Saga Travel Insurance policies will not provide cover for claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19).

Not really worth considering then, unless they allow covid claims against the emergency medical cover.

I would not be too bothered about cancellation or curtailment costs, since the cruise line or credit card should cover these.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 10:23 AM, towny44 said:

What level of covid cover are Saga offering David?

Hi towny44,

As you've already been made aware, the answer is "none".

DavidH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidH said:

Hi towny44,

As you've already been made aware, the answer is "none".

DavidH

I was only made aware from Sinbads reply to my post that you are only now replying to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×