35 minutes ago, dancing queen said:

Are over 70s going to be able to cruise in the future?

Can't for any reason see why not.

HLM.

I wonder what prompted that question DQ 

is that like 18/30 holidays I would think it would be very ageist for them to try and enforce that, unless insurance company’s would  not give cover.

Its a thought, no grey money coming in 

Good question Dancing Queen in view of the government advice: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cruise-ship-travel In fact the question is, when can anybody cruise again. So many ports around the world are closed for the foreseeable future, some until September and beyond. Plus of course the government has advised against all but essential travel. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

31 minutes ago, Jenjen said:

unless insurance company’s would  not give cover.

Insurance companies are currently not issuing NEW policies with a cruise element to anyone over 70. Sorry to highlight but wanted to emphasise the word new so as not to become muddled with renewed policies.

The question is that usually you can take out the cruise line’s holiday insurance when you book a cruise and I believe that Bolsover have a recommended cruise insurance, I stand to be corrected on that though, however with the amount of folk cruising over 70 are they likely to reverse insuring those over 70.... if that makes sense

With four Princess ships, heavily involved with. Mass amounts of corona virus and the reports I have seen don’t think much of the hygiene on board, whatever age you are, I would not book.

Staysure who we insure with which does cruise cover have not informed me we can’t cruise when travel lock down has ended, we have annual cover.

In light of the current situation I don’t want to book a cruise, because as I have said before I could not cope not being able to leave my cabin, only my opinion 

Apparently PandO and bolsover suggest holiday extras but are not issuing new insurance and won’t cover anyone travelling now, mind you I don’t think any will when the FO has a no travel policy.

If I was going on a cruise after this is over I would hope that all ships were extensively deep cleaned to ensure that there were no traces of virus 

9 hours ago, Pesky Pirate said:

If I was going on a cruise after this is over I would hope that all ships were extensively deep cleaned to ensure that there were no traces of virus

One would hope so Pesky and I'm in no doubt it's already happened, however as with Norovirus it's generally the clientele that bring the viruses onboard leaving the cruise line to try and clear up the mess left behind.

Unfortanatley Covid-19 is or was an unknown quantity and no amount of cleaning would've stopped it, in my opinion it's been widespread for a lot longer than anyone is prepared to admit.

The worse problem is that people can carry the virus without knowing so, hence the reason it's out of control.

Cruiselines just like all others were always going to be on a hiding to nothing.

HLM.

2 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Unlikely insurance company's will go against government guidelines. 

I would hope that the govt advice will change once the risk is reduced due to a vaccine becoming available, or the spread is brought under tight control.

21 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Insurance companies are currently not issuing NEW policies with a cruise element to anyone over 70. Sorry to highlight but wanted to emphasise the word new so as not to become muddled with renewed policies.

We took out a new annual policy with added cruise cover last week with Staysure. It doesn’t cover the virus but my husband is over 70 & there was no trouble getting cover.

4 hours ago, 2torts said:

We took out a new annual policy with added cruise cover last week with Staysure. It doesn’t cover the virus but my husband is over 70 & there was no trouble getting cover.

Sorry but this may seem a silly question, but, why take out insurance when nobody is going anywhere. I would not pay for something I am not going to use.

5 hours ago, 2torts said:

Amazing, I will ring them. Just to make sure, please confirm this was a new policy and not a renewal. 

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

1 hour ago, Countrygirl said:

Sorry but this may seem a silly question, but, why take out insurance when nobody is going anywhere. I would not pay for something I am not going to use.

Not a silly question at all Countrygirl, I wouldn't pay for something I'm unlikely to use either and I think it will be many months before anyone is going anywhere and very possibly not this year.

But if you have cruises booked for 2021 when it is likely cruise lines will be operating it is wise to have insurance in place in case of unforeseen circumstances nothing to do with coronavirus.

39 minutes ago, dancing queen said:

Thank you for your replies but my question was not about insurance.

However if you cannot obtain insurance then you would  not be able to cruise.

I think this  is another thing made up by the press, I think nobody knows how the travel industry will act post corona pandemic also consumer confidence 

with over 40 cruises under our belt, I don’t have any confidence booking another cruise at this time  we do have land base holidays that will not taken, one for April, one in June, maybe the July one we will be able to go on.

all we can hope for is that we stay safe, and in good health.

1 hour ago, dancing queen said:

Thank you for your replies but my question was not about insurance.

Hi dq, Appreciate what you're saying but without insurance is probably one of the only reasons why older people won't be able to travel.

Could I ask what your reasoning is for asking the question? By doing so we may be able to be specific with our answers.

HLM.

17 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Amazing, I will ring them. Just to make sure, please confirm this was a new policy and not a renewal. 

It was a new policy as our usual insurer (AA) went up quite a lot. The Staysure one also gave us 15 months for the price of 12 & as we have cruises booked for late Nov this year & Feb next year we needed to cover them. Assuming our June cruise is cancelled & that we get FCC we quite like the look of one in May next year so that would be covered as well.

We are in that '70s' category and have a B2B booked for Jan 2021, including insurance. Since our last cruise ended 01/12/2020 it would be almost one year, which is much to long a wait not to be on the high seas. We can only hope things will be okay by then.

On 4/20/2020 at 1:14 PM, dancing queen said:

I have insurance. It was said early on in the Coronavirus situation that over 70s should not cruise .I was just wondering if that will be the case when normality resumes

My guess would be that as early and continuing evidence suggests that the over 70's appear to be more susceptible to the virus, also that age group generally having more underlying medical conditions, so that's why I believe they were at the time advised not to cruise.

As the lockdown is reduced and more is learnt about the virus I'd imagine the restrictions will be more specifically targeted around certain medical conditions rather than age.

HLM.