Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jenjen

Will holidays be the same again

Recommended Posts

From reading what travel people are saying, nobody wants anybody from the UK unless you have proof they have documented evidence they are in good health, and have had the coronavirus vaccine, which has not yet been developed for mass market.

cruise lines will not be able to offer anything self service, and have social distancing! Oh trouble with sunloungers May be in the shade!

As for getting insurance, well that’s going to a problem as so many disclaimers 

will it all settle down, when tourists are the main income in a lot of places ? Interesting situation.

just my own dilemma maybe others reading this will have a very different take on the situation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2020 at 4:26 PM, Jenjen said:

From reading what travel people are saying, nobody wants anybody from the UK unless you have proof they have documented evidence they are in good health, and have had the coronavirus vaccine, which has not yet been developed for mass market.

Hi Jejen could you point me in the direction of those articles as I would be interested to read them.  Thanks, OWT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were all on google trending, the question was what we can expect from overseas travel it was about three days age owt I find that the travel industry has ideas above its economy because let’s face it Us holiday makers bring lots of money into areas which have nothing much else.

Just my opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2020 at 4:26 PM, Jenjen said:

From reading what travel people are saying, nobody wants anybody from the UK unless you have proof they have documented evidence they are in good health, and have had the coronavirus vaccine, which has not yet been developed for mass market.

Hi Jenjen.

I believe it'll be at least two years before the holiday industry gets back to some form of normality, I can totally understand why European and World countries will need comprehensive assurances that those coming in to their countries are safe, I sincerely hope the UK takes a similar stance, however if the last few weeks are anything to go by I suspect not as whilst all other countries locked down their air and sea ports the UK didn't, a massive mistake but that's just my personal opinion.

Myself personally will not travel abroad until such time there is an effective drug to control the virus or a vaccine to protect against it which could be sometime.

Currently we have a holiday credit following a cancelled get away in early April, this can be used anytime in the next twelve months for advance travel so it's a wait and see situation, fortunately my current rolling annual insurance covers pandemics so even though we are not planning anything soon I'll keep it running just in case the situation changes, I certainly wouldn't even consider travelling without this pandemic covered.

HLM.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I understand P&O and Cunard are looking to start sailing from 1st August I think this has its problems with ports who may or not lets ships dock

I think HLM is quite correct 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jenjen said:

As I understand P&O and Cunard are looking to start sailing from 1st August I think this has its problems with ports who may or not lets ships dock

I think HLM is quite correct 

I very much doubt that any cruise line will be sailing this summer, Princess have just cancelled their world wide sailings for the entire summer 2020 season, and I suspect that Autumn sailings might be as rare hens teeth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to our local news Ventura are sailing to India to collect crew ?? Maybe fake news,

So many stories flying about, think a lot is guess work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jenjen said:

According to our local news Ventura are sailing to India to collect crew ?? Maybe fake news,

So many stories flying about, think a lot is guess work.

Ventura is sailing to India to repatriate crew from both P&O/Cunard. Think your local news should get its facts correct before reporting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think anyone actually knows what will happen - most of it is 'hearsay' and people will believe what they want to believe.

To add my thoughts .. I would be very surprised if any ship sails this year and the fact Princess have already said they have cancelled their worldwide sailings for the entire 2020 summer season it would make sense other Carnival brands will follow suit - time will tell.

Edited by *Dancing Queen*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I would be very surprised if any ship sails this year

I agree with Dancing Queen. Many lines are still trying to get their crews back to homes all over the world. This indicates to me they are not going to be sailing any time soon. Even if a ship were ready to sail next week where would it sail to. Many people, even avid cruisers don't want to risk getting on a plane or ship until a virus is found as was discovered on the survey carried out by the 'Peston' program on ITV. This has been backed up by several other surveys. Companies try to put a spin on it by saying 40% by way of example want to cruise again as soon as possible but ignore the 60% that don't want to. As Mark Twain said, "There are lies, damned lies and statistics"

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I note that UK airlines have now been told by Government that all non U.K. passengers arriving in to the country from the end of this month must self-isolate for 14 days.

As I mentioned in a earlier post this should've been implemented at the start of the lockdown in line with other countries, I fully appreciate this new advice is probably to stop a second wave as we slowly come out of lockdown but in my opinion this is too little too late it should've been done at the start and would've most definitely saved lives.

At the start of lockdown the 'R rate' was over two meaning the spread was very widespread yet this country kept it's sea and airports open to all, now the infection rate is below one and just last week the chief medical officer said on the daily briefing said "it would not now be effective to close sea and airports as the infection rate is below one" meaning one person spreads to one person which is in line to many other well known types of infection we encounter in this country.

I'm certainly not putting blame on anyone here and I think this Government has in unprecedented circumstances done a reasonable job, but I do wish they'd stop contradicting themselves as often as they are.

Is it any wonder why people are interpreting the advice so many different ways.

Thoughts anyone?

HLM.

 

 

Edited by HLM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with HLM, we live on an island. It would have been easy to lock the island down from the first reported case. Anyone who lived here could come back and those that didn’t could leave the UK . Goods travel etc would be allowed. The other thing is, that if the report was right that they failed a pandemic test a few years back, they should have made sure that they had all the necessary PPE in storage should the need arise. 
 

I think it’s also time to bring back more manufacturing to the uk for the textile industry so that we can make our own gowns etc without having to order from abroad only to find that it’s useless when it arrives.

sorry if I have put my foot in it.. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pesky Pirate said:

I agree with HLM, we live on an island. It would have been easy to lock the island down from the first reported case. Anyone who lived here could come back and those that didn’t could leave the UK . Goods travel etc would be allowed. The other thing is, that if the report was right that they failed a pandemic test a few years back, they should have made sure that they had all the necessary PPE in storage should the need arise. 
 

I think it’s also time to bring back more manufacturing to the uk for the textile industry so that we can make our own gowns etc without having to order from abroad only to find that it’s useless when it arrives.

sorry if I have put my foot in it.. 🙂

When you say goods travel would be acceptable, I think you might be under estimating the numbers involved even at the present time.  Whilst much less than airports, in normal times, it is probably not much lower even now, most of our fresh produce is imported, and a large proportion of other imports as well, a high proportion coming through the channel ports in self drive vehicles.

Couple that with the fact that even long haul flights are not long enough for anyone infected to start to show symptoms, it is unlikely that more than a small percentage would be found by the sort of health checks operated by most other countries.  Once we did start a lockdown anyone coming into the country was subject to the same rules we are all observing, stay at home except for essential travel, and self isolate if you develop symptoms. As a consequence passengers returning to the UK would be unlikely to be a major factor in the spread of the disease.

My own view is that we probably acted sensibly with regard to not closing our borders, but I accept that it would probably have made UK citizens feel more secure, but IMO it would have been a somewhat worthless placebo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, towny44 said:

Once we did start a lockdown anyone coming into the country was subject to the same rules we are all observing, stay at home except for essential travel, and self isolate if you develop symptoms. As a consequence passengers returning to the UK would be unlikely to be a major factor in the spread of the disease

I beg to differ Towny, I know of three couples who returned from Northern Italy following holidays who simply just walked through UK boarder controls without any advice whatsoever, not even a leaflet!!!, only later were people given an advisory leaflets but again they were advisory not compulsory.

More worrying is that one of those is a neonatal nurse working with premature babies, not only did she not get any advice when entering the country, when she called her her boss at the NHS hospital where she worked she was told to come to work as normal this despite Northern Italy at the time being the worst effected area in Europe.

Just to add back when lockdown was announced, we had an "R rate" of nearly three therefore allowing people into the Country would've had extremely serious consequences, at present there's no telling how many affected people came through our boarders and passed the virus on to untold amounts of people.

That to me was a grave error and in my opinion has led to a significant number of unnecessary infection and deaths, how many we'll probably never know.

HLM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, towny44 said:

it is unlikely that more than a small percentage would be found by the sort of health checks operated by most other countries

The problem is towny44, that small percentage if allowed through unchecked can spread the virus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

The problem is towny44, that small percentage if allowed through unchecked can spread the virus.

Not if they follow the correct rules once they have the symptoms, and even before if they have mainly stayed home and followed social distancing, they should have avoided passing on the virus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, towny44 said:

Not if they follow the correct rules once they have the symptoms, and even before if they have mainly stayed home and followed social distancing, they should have avoided passing on the virus.

But what if they were asymptomatic and didn't have any symptoms which has proved to be very common? 

Your second point would've been correct if people had been told that when they arrived, but they weren't, travellers from all over the world from some of the most badly effected areas were allowed to come into this country and do exactly what they wanted and that at a time when the virus was at it's most widespread.

The "Science" as the Government kept telling us knew that the "R rate" was increasing and therefore spreading the virus more widely yet they've waited until now to announce quarantining those coming into the country, even then not until the END of the month, why wait?

HLM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×