Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Anchors-aweigh

Is the CDC trying to 'kill off' the cruise industry?

Recommended Posts

I have watched differing cruise chat/websites concerning the ever lengthening 'no sail' situation and they seem to be of the opinion that the CDC* is not talking to the cruise industry regarding re-introducing sailings. Finally those in the industry  who had separately put forward many ideas only to see them 'stone-walled' have decided to do a 'blanket' no sailing until the 15th Sept and are asking/pressuring the CDC to engage in meaningful talks with the industry under the aegis of the CLIA. [Cruise Lines International Association] . 

 [* Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is a national public health institute in the United States. It is a United States federal agency,]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question. At a guess there has been well over a hundred 'guests' sign in to this forum since this current topic. Most are looking at threads up to 2 years since the last post was made. Imo this topic is the most important one from the point of view of cruisers thinking of when [or if] to book a further cruise,  does no one have a comment to make? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

I have a question. At a guess there has been well over a hundred 'guests' sign in to this forum since this current topic. Most are looking at threads up to 2 years since the last post was made. Imo this topic is the most important one from the point of view of cruisers thinking of when [or if] to book a further cruise,  does no one have a comment to make? 

Good afternoon AA.

As with most forums people tend to use 'view only' and those simply viewing as guests cannot post, only signed in members can.

As of a minute ago only myself and Towny are signed in members, and I never sign out.

If people have something constructive to contribute I'm sure they will but in the current situation cruising related topics have been done to the death and most forums are very quiet.

HLM.

 

 

Edited by HLM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a member of only one other forum - the situation is similar - sign in if you have an opinion to share with over a thousand others [plus]. Many of the topics in here have not seen a fresh post in months - isn't the whole purpose of a forum to voice opinions? In three months the whole travel industry has changed beyond recognition - where are the voices? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst cruising has ceased for the foreseeable future there isn’t much to talk about one folk have stopped complaining about refunds and when they will get them, which the cruise companies seem to be doing their best. 
I look on the site but don’t log in as it’s easier to read the latest updates that way and don’t bother logging in unless I have something to say. 
Shall I be controversial and start a new smoking thread that will get folk going 😱 only joking...

Fingers crossed things will get sorted in one way or another, hopefully one of these vaccines will be successful, and we can all start cruising again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could better understand if forum members were to use it as a forum. Take this thread as an example - why not a 'one-liner' to say either the CDC are right in the protection of cruisers -or the CLIA are right to point out that so many other leisure industries are up and running [or are about to be ].  Ps nice to see/read a couple of posts! 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I am concerned I go with what the foreign office travel advice is not a US government agency. The leisure industry is only just in the process of starting up in this country and I certainly won’t consider travelling abroad by any means until it’s a lot more safer to do so and I dread the thought of being confined to a cabin on a boat should there be an outbreak on board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

I could better understand if forum members were to use it as a forum. Take this thread as an example - why not a 'one-liner' to say either the CDC are right in the protection of cruisers -or the CLIA are right to point out that so many other leisure industries are up and running [or are about to be ].  Ps nice to see/read a couple of posts! 😊

I personally haven't commented on the original post because I don't have an opinion either way.

Regardless of what the CDC or CLIA's opinions are cruising of any sort will not get back to normal for a very long time either here or the US, Spain I believe have very recently announced that no cruise ships will be entering their ports for the remainder of this year others I'm certain will follow.

I certainly don't want to cruise again whilst various enforced restrictions are in place.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/cruise/1301949/Spain-coronavirus-holidays-travel-covid-cruise-cruises-news

HLM.

Edited by HLM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of any restrictions, which I am hoping will be sympathetically applied, we will be happy to try out the new cruising environment if our next booked cruise on Iona in February does go ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some interesting and pertinent views. My guess is that some cruise lines may disappear and certainly ships will be off-loaded or scrapped. I feel bad for the crew members [the 'below stairs' ladies and gents in particular] also for some of the less glamorous cruise ports who gleaned much of their income from the cruise companies. Also I think many will do as we did and changed our cabin for the April cruise into a balcony. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, towny44 said:

Regardless of any restrictions, which I am hoping will be sympathetically applied, we will be happy to try out the new cruising environment if our next booked cruise on Iona in February does go ahead.

Hi Towny.

Hopefully for you by February things will have significantly improved and restrictions if any will be minimal.

On the other hand if things have not significantly improved restrictions could potentially include cruising with facemasks, very limited ports of call, allocated dining times, no self service buffet etc etc, I can't see many wanting to cruise with those type of restrictions in place, especially at the current prices I've seen.

Just my opinion, but unfortunately I think we are at least a year away from cruising normality.

HLM.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HLM said:

Hi Towny.

Hopefully for you by February things will have significantly improved and restrictions if any will be minimal.

On the other hand if things have not significantly improved restrictions could potentially include cruising with facemasks, very limited ports of call, allocated dining times, no self service buffet etc etc, I can't see many wanting to cruise with those type of restrictions in place, especially at the current prices I've seen.

Just my opinion, but unfortunately I think we are at least a year away from cruising normality.

HLM.

 

No one yet knows what any new arrangements will be, but I feel certain that the cruise line industry will want to ensure that any restrictions are as limiting as possible, conducive with the extra safety required, because they will recognise that passengers will not be happy if they impact heavily on the enjoyment of the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Pesky Pirate said:

One thing for sure, I bet the prices escalate.... some cruise lines are already quoting double for single travellers. There’s also the problem of arranging travel insurance..

There were some very cheap offers for 2021 cruises from CMV in yesterday's papers, but whether they will still be operating next year is a different matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CMV is an interesting case -as I understand it the issue is about conditions of crew who may have been onboard for 12 months unbroken -and wages issues. Hopefully they will come through it, but I know there have been issues with re-funding during lockdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, towny44 said:

No one yet knows what any new arrangements will be, but I feel certain that the cruise line industry will want to ensure that any restrictions are as limiting as possible, conducive with the extra safety required, because they will recognise that passengers will not be happy if they impact heavily on the enjoyment of the cruise.

I think it's the uncertainty of any new arrangements that will ultimately cause the most concern for cruise lines and travellers alike.

If I had future cruise credit then I'd consider thinking of something a fair way ahead, but without it no chance, I just can't see how in the current situation the industry can ensure the safety of it's passengers without some sort of vaccination or effective drug in place, my thoughts are the same with flying not a chance of getting on a plane at the moment .

HLM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Anchors-aweigh,

My wife and I, together with a couple of friends, are due to embark Azamara Quest in mid November in Lisbon, visiting the Canaries and Cape Verde Islands before crossing The Atlantic for calls in Brazil, with Buenos Aires as the final stop.

Being a US cruise line, I do not expect the cruise to go ahead and, right now, I would prefer that Azamara cancel the whole thing.  Preferably, before we are due to pay the outstanding balance in mid-August.

Much as we enjoy on board ship life, it's the ports of call that inform our cruise choices and, given the state of play in Latin America, I suspect the calls in Brazil and Uruguay will be pulled. 

DavidH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't agree more -we are totally influenced by ports of call. So much so that we were remiss in not building up 'loyalty points' in that we must have been on half a dozen or more cruise lines. Hoping for good news by April as there are six ports of call which are new to us. 

 Regarding the topic I am confused as to why the CDC made no attempt [as I understand] to liaise with cruise lines as they had consulted experts in the viral field before submitting points for discussion. Maybe with a united front they might see a real engagement from the CDC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I don't think they are keen to do anything that will harm the industry even further. The ban is only effective in USA waters and has a get-out clause to end it early should the Covid-19 situation improve significantly. I guess you only have to look at the current situation in the USA to understand the ban.

In terms of the other issues people have made on this thread, personally I feel I am unlikely to cruise again until any sort of social distancing on board ships is deemed not necessary. Also, when travelling solo, I would have to be able to eat with others as , for me, eating alone every night would be sooooo boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how much to read into this but I note that the CDC are seeking input from you and I [the 'punters'] about all aspects of cruising in this Covid era. I think it can only be for the good of the industry that there are now tri-partite discussions taking place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×