Sign in to follow this  
Countrygirl

Carnival selling 6 ships

Judging by doing a bit of googling there are some carnival ships named but it makes you wonder whether they should have commissioned something the size of Iona. I can’t see them filling it on a regular basis..

Definitely true - and indeed, they have said they already have agreements for the six but that there will be others in the near future.

With regard to P&0, I am hoping that the only possible contender would be Oceana.  Although Iona needs a lot more pax to fill her, she will probably be more suitable for any social distancing measures that might be required. Additionally, as she will be much more cost-effective to operate, they can afford to sail her less full at a likely profit.

Very strong rumours on another forum and one person who reckons he has it on good authority from an "insider" that Oceana is leaving P&O.

2 hours ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

I have been reading similar - it looks pretty likely. [Incidentally afcandrew looks like we will soon be doing a [Mel] Smith and [Griff] Jones 'head-to-head' in here ........😉

Well, that's confused me - the Smith & Jones reference.....🤔

13 minutes ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

It was an attempt at humour - I was indicating that there only seemed to be two persons posting ......pleased to see myself proved wrong today. 

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

Nothing about Oceana in Travel Trade Gazette or Cruise Industry News. I did see a couple of weeks ago that the 6 were made up of 2 from Aida, 1 Costa, 1 HAL and 2 Princess, I think the truth is none of us knows until it happens. With Pullmantur and Birka Cruises both finishing it was interesting to note a new cruise line starting next year, Tradewind Voyages, with the largest square-rigged ship in the world. The big debate is when will cruising start again. Celestyal have now cancelled all sailings until March 2021, how many others will follow bearing in mind the majority of cruise ships usually head across the pond to warmer climates for the winter but probably not this winter!!

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

1 hour ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Nothing about Oceana in Travel Trade Gazette or Cruise Industry News. I did see a couple of weeks ago that the 6 were made up of 2 from Aida, 1 Costa, 1 HAL and 2 Princess, I think the truth is none of us knows until it happens. With Pullmantur and Birka Cruises both finishing it was interesting to note a new cruise line starting next year, Tradewind Voyages, with the largest square-rigged ship in the world. The big debate is when will cruising start again. Celestyal have now cancelled all sailings until March 2021, how many others will follow bearing in mind the majority of cruise ships usually head across the pond to warmer climates for the winter but probably not this winter!!

Indeed, as you say, we won't know until it happens. The only thing I would say about 'the six' is that if I recall correctly, when Carnival Corp announced that they had agreements in place for the disposal of 6 ships, they also said they were actively pursuing agreements for a number of others.

It must be a nightmare for the cruise companies as so much of the mainland of all the Americas is awash with the virus including many of the cruise hubs. The Caribbean has fared better in the main regarding Covid19 but many are still in recovery from the hurricane damage. 

Well, they did - at 10am this morning. Leaving the fleet this month. Very sad for all those pax booked on her but relieved that my source was accurate.

Well I have to admit that Oceana was not my favourite ship, but like you say afcandrew I am sorry for the people looking forward to holidays booked on her. If P & O do the same as before when selling ships we won’t get confirmation until the papers are signed.

P & O took a booking from us on Adonia only for us to get a phone call the next day to say she had been sold.

27 minutes ago, Countrygirl said:

Well I have to admit that Oceana was not my favourite ship, but like you say afcandrew I am sorry for the people looking forward to holidays booked on her. If P & O do the same as before when selling ships we won’t get confirmation until the papers are signed.

P & O took a booking from us on Adonia only for us to get a phone call the next day to say she had been sold.

They only started taking Oceana cruises off the website this morning. I think booked pax have been e-mailed. She's definitely gone. On another forum, someone mentioned that electrical (possibly stage) equipment was being taken off the ship in Southampton yesterday. On the same forum there is also a suggestion that her P&O livery will be coming off imminently.

Yes P & 0 confirmed this morning she had gone. So they have no reason to start and strip her. Under normal conditions she would have been in service right up to the end.

4 hours ago, Countrygirl said:

We have two holidays booked on Arcadia next year. So hoping she won’t get the axe.

With the current situation nothing is guaranteed but Arcadia should be safe for next year...