Sign in to follow this  
mitch

how about a cruise to nowhere.

given the current difficulties of covid 19 and the wide range of different rules imposed by possible destination ports of call.

would it be feasible or attractive to have a cruise down to warmer weather for a week or two but not to dock anywhere, simply cruise around the canaries or something staying on board and sunbathing.

ramp up the on board entertainment, lectures demonstrations etc. but just bimble around in the sun for a while.

it would suit me lol.

any takers?

I have said the same in the past. I would be more than happy to spend a couple of weeks just a sea, enjoy the facilities on the ship and have somebody else cook for us would be brilliant.

That would be good as long it stopped at Guernsey to make it a duty free cruise. Not that you save much but at least you could buy some alcohol at reduced rate..

I wonder if you could get cruise insurance for it 

4 minutes ago, Pesky Pirate said:

That would be good as long it stopped at Guernsey to make it a duty free cruise. Not that you save much but at least you could buy some alcohol at reduced rate..

I wonder if you could get cruise insurance for it 

Would Guernsey want a ship tendering in thousands of people off a cruise ship, I very much doubt it. They have done a fantastic job in controlling Coronavirus and very much doubt they would want to risk allowing cruise passengers ashore.

As much as I love my sea days, a 10 to 14 night cruise going nowhere just wouldn't be attractive to me. You also have to remember that as the weather turns worse in October and onwards, you would have 2 to 3 days at either end when the weather might not be good enough to be out on the open decks...

I have no need of duty free. I don’t drink and I don’t smoke. 

Why are so many comments on this forum negative, in these times can’t we be a little more positive.

My idea of hell to be on a boat for days without being able to get off. The destinations are the key part for me. That said with the FCO advising against all cruising and nullifying most insurance the question is answered for me.

Edited by jinky

It is all about the standard or daytime entertainment if it is P&Os normal fare then I would not be interested but having done a few roundtrip TAs on QM2 to New York and back with every day at sea with one day in New York then they are excellent and thoroughly enjoy them but Cunard do make an effort with their daytime programme with excellent speakers. Plus it all depends on the port of calls as some places cruise lines go I am bored after an hour or they have no interests or just tourist tat not my idea of a port of call walking around shops experiencing tat made in China with Welcome to Spain/Italy etc.

Edited by sinbad10

1 hour ago, sinbad10 said:

It is all about the standard or daytime entertainment if it is P&Os normal fare then I would not be interested but having done a few roundtrip TAs on QM2 to New York and back with every day at sea with one day in New York then they are excellent and thoroughly enjoy them but Cunard do make an effort with their daytime programme with excellent speakers. Plus it all depends on the port of calls as some places cruise lines go I am bored after an hour or they have no interests or just tourist tat not my idea of a port of call walking around shops experiencing tat made in China with Welcome to Spain/Italy etc.

Aye, but there's the rub, as they say. All the time Covid is causing alterations to cruising, the experience on board is not going to be the same. We don't know how entertainment is going to be presented. With reduced numbers, social distancing, one way systems etc, who knows what things will be like?

20 hours ago, Countrygirl said:

in these times can’t we be a little more positive.

I would love to be positive about things Countrygirl but unfortunately I am struggling to find something to be positive about. Lockdown has been eased which is good news but I see this morning the 'R' rate has now risen. 

2 hours ago, afcandrew said:

Aye, but there's the rub, as they say. All the time Covid is causing alterations to cruising, the experience on board is not going to be the same. We don't know how entertainment is going to be presented. With reduced numbers, social distancing, one way systems etc, who knows what things will be like?

Think we are all well aware of that but if as suggested P&O did cruises to nowhere then as I said they would have to up their game with regards to some sort improvement in entertainment compared to the past even in the new norm post Covid.

53 minutes ago, mitch said:

boy tough audience lol.

ok assuming duty free was duty free, the cruiseline up their game on the entertainment and insurance etc were possible .

then would you curmudgeons be interested?

A pile of books, a mug of tea & a view of the sea (preferably from a balcony but a window would do) & I'd be perfectly happy.

Haha -no! We use cruises as a five-star taxi service to places on the globe we have not seen [or only seen once]. It is all about going to sleep in one place and waking in another. Our last cruise was on the QV -we visited 18 ports in 24 days quite a few we had never visited before.

Edited by Anchors-aweigh

We have invariably selected our cruises in the past based on ports of call. 

However, we have occasionally returned from a cruise feeling as though we need a holiday to recover from the all action, port a day, routine.  More recently, we have gone for a balance of calls and sea days.

As for the future.....................................?

DavidH

On 7/12/2020 at 2:38 PM, Oldworldtraveller said:

I would love to be positive about things Countrygirl but unfortunately I am struggling to find something to be positive about. Lockdown has been eased which is good news but I see this morning the 'R' rate has now risen. 

You are lucky enough to be still on this planet. Not so for over 44,000 poor souIs  is that not positive enough for you.

I look around and

my garden has never look so good,

my neighbours are people you stop and talk with instead of just the odd hello.

the books I always said I would read are now done.

i understand the use of my laptop and iPad more and can Zoom and FaceTime with ease.

Edited by Countrygirl

We are all lucky at present and fingers crossed we will remain so but some of us know folk who have died from this dreadful disease. I am one of them. Yes we endeavour to remain positive but it’s not always possible. It’s not all about reading books and gardening..

just my opinion but I await more backlash!

16 hours ago, Countrygirl said:

You are lucky enough to be still on this planet. Not so for over 44,000 poor souIs  is that not positive enough for you.

Yes that is very positive as are the other points you mention, however, as the thread started off about cruising and continued in that vein I naturally thought you were looking for something positive regarding the cruise industry!! 

Edited by Oldworldtraveller