Sign in to follow this  
Anchors-aweigh

CMV in a last-ditch effort to stay afloat

A British-based cruise operator which has been at the centre of a repatriation row involving hundreds of crew is in eleventh-hour talks with potential investors in a desperate bid to stay afloat -this just in from Sky news. Lets hope they do keep going -had a few lovely cruises onboard.

Further from Sky...Sky News has learned that Cruise & Maritime Voyages (CMV), which employs approximately 4,000 people, is in talks with VGO Capital Management, an investor in special situations with expertise in the shipping industry, regarding a possible agreement.

I hope they do manage to survive, their ships have been gradually getting newer, and fairly soon they might have been 21st century builds, which would have seen many more balcony cabins, as well as more modern accessible cabins, making them stronger competition to P&O.

I do so hope that they survive. Had a great cruise aboard Marco Polo a couple of years ago. If they do sadly fold, those of us that prefer smaller ships will have very little choice in the mid-market range. All the new smaller ships seem to be in the boutique/luxury market.

3 hours ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

wonder if they could postpone the acquisition of the two ships -at least that ought to ease the liquidity situation......

I think that would cause more problems in that they would then be in breach of contract with Carnival who in turn probably need the money for the acquisition of Iona and the new build that is on order. Who knows, again we will have to wait and see.

Read about this over a month ago. The people that back them have money troubles so, if they go under so will CMV. At this time we do not want to lose them.

14 hours ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

Damn shame

Have sailed with them many times and always received a happy cruise experience. The effects will be far reaching, Carnival will no longer receive the money for the two ships CMV were buying, crew and shore staff without jobs, suppliers etc. CMV were competition to many cruise lines, now that competition has gone will cruise lines hike their prices knowing there is now less choice.

A great shame indeed. Whilst I didn't have a current booking with them, it was certainly my intention to sail with them again - maybe as soon as next August when the entire fleet were due to meet in Rotterdam. If, as looks likely, no-one takes up the slack, there will be no 'budget' cruise line sailing out of UK ports.

2 hours ago, afcandrew said:

A great shame indeed. Whilst I didn't have a current booking with them, it was certainly my intention to sail with them again - maybe as soon as next August when the entire fleet were due to meet in Rotterdam. If, as looks likely, no-one takes up the slack, there will be no 'budget' cruise line sailing out of UK ports.

Although I have never cruised with them, I am sorry to lose them because eventually they would have bought a 21st century ship with good accessible features and lots of balcony cabins, which might have suited us. However I never thought their prices were budget level, we never found a cruise price that compared anywhere near to P&O launch fares.

19 hours ago, towny44 said:

Although I have never cruised with them, I am sorry to lose them because eventually they would have bought a 21st century ship with good accessible features and lots of balcony cabins, which might have suited us. However I never thought their prices were budget level, we never found a cruise price that compared anywhere near to P&O launch fares.

Fares on smaller ships will always be expensive in comparison to ships that carry 3, 4 or 5 thousand pax - especially if you require a balcony. CMV's opening bogof deals are usually in the region of £100 pppd (outside cabin) and then later special offers often less. CMV is closer to Fred Olsen in style than P&O and prices compared well with Fred. I have been a long-term, loyal customer of P&O but sadly for me they are going in a direction that will not take me with them. The longer the Covid crisis continues, the more I fear for the future of Aurora, which would leave only one ship in the fleet that interests me.

We have had three cruises with CMV, one on the Magellan and two on the Columbus and enjoyed every one. Also, Tilbury is a more convenient departure port for us than Southampton.

So, really sad that they have been forced into administration.

Like afcandrew, who I largely agree with, we have cruised frequently with P&O, who we also like but similarly we are not really interested in the larger vessels and the Aurora seems to be the pick of the remaining bunch.

So, until now, our expectation was that we were likely to be travelling more and more with CMV in the future but sadly that will not be the case any more.

She is a lovely ship. I should have been on her for 18 nights around the Med in October. I really do hope she is operational early in the new year because if not, I will start to sorry that we'll not see her again.