Sign in to follow this  
Anchors-aweigh

Apathy rules - or so it seems-

-to me. I came back into the forum just a few weeks back and have tried to help the 'few' to re-invigorate the forum, doesn't seem to have worked. At a guess I would say no more than 10 forum members have had something to say. I am at a loss to understand- I see plenty looking in but only a handful putting pen to paper [so to speak]. 

It's such a pity that so few seem to have anything to say - with cruising generally in such a perilous situation, so please give the few who DO post, something to read also -even if it is only to say 'why don't you mind your own business!' 😉

I have to agree with you. The forum has been very quiet. I have been looking at the old subjects heading from last year and as nobody is cruising no questions are being asked, nobody is complaining about their experience onboard, no comments about drink packages or onboard spend. 

Maybe when we get back to cruising (I do hope we do) the forum may pick up.

Many cruise fora have tended to go quiet in the winter months when there are less pax off on cruises. I guess it stands to reason then that things will be even more quiet with no cruises happening at all. Hopefully once cruising returns things will perk up again.

There may not be any cruises at the moment but I’m still hopeful for our November cruise especially now that the excursions have suddenly appeared on the cruise personaliser. I’m not confident enough to think about booking any at the moment but the fact that they are there & that there are many new & different ones must be a good sign ( I hope).

37 minutes ago, 2torts said:

There may not be any cruises at the moment but I’m still hopeful for our November cruise especially now that the excursions have suddenly appeared on the cruise personaliser. I’m not confident enough to think about booking any at the moment but the fact that they are there & that there are many new & different ones must be a good sign ( I hope).

Good for you - I take nearly as much from an upcoming holiday [of any kind] as I do on the actuality.

Well river cruises have been given the go ahead so how long do we have to wait for ocean cruises? Things coming out of the FCO and transport ministry do not sound to good but, how many of these people go on cruises from those two ministrys?

5 minutes ago, terrierian said:

Well river cruises have been given the go ahead so how long do we have to wait for ocean cruises? Things coming out of the FCO and transport ministry do not sound to good but, how many of these people go on cruises from those two ministrys?

Many have holiday homes in places such as France which is why Euro tunnel is open and planes are now in the air.

1 hour ago, terrierian said:

how many of these people go on cruises from those two ministrys?

Is that really relevant. I love cruising as much as anyone but certainly at the moment would not want to go on an ocean cruise. As you are probably aware Spain has banned all cruise ships from its ports for the foreseeable future including the Balearic Islands, the USA has banned all cruise ships carrying in excess of 250 passenger from all ports, Canada has banned cruise ships until at least November, The CDC has just extended its ban on cruise ship sailings, the list of restrictions goes on and on. So imagine being on a cruise ship and there is a case of Covid-19, which port will allow you to dock!! Probably none and you then have another Diamond Princess situation. I was on a cruise  ship in March and we were refused permission to dock at 2 of our ports and we had no infections on board. We had to return to Malaga a day early as they were closing the port, wonder where we would be now if we hadn't got there in time!!

I think we are all getting too worked up about the FCO guidance, it can be changed at a moment's notice, and I would expect that once the govt and EU, have agreed satisfactory covid secure protocols for cruises with the CLIA and the major cruise lines, that it will be withdrawn, the only question is how soon these negotiations can produce a workable solution. Since the EU are involved, these negotiations will also include the question of which ports will reopen to cruise ships, including the protocol for allowing very sick passengers to be disembarked to a local hospital.

I do think the situation on River Cruises is very different to Ocean Cruises though. They hold far fewer pax - often only a couple of hundred. Also, they seldom have a non-port-day, so it is very easy to offload a passenger who has any illness symptoms. 

I think I read that the CEO  for AstroZeneca is due to publish details of trials tomorrow. 

By June, July we'll have a first idea already of the efficacy and safety of this vaccine and we'll need to wait a  few more months, "But by June, July we should have a pretty good idea already''. He said in an interview. 

Advertisement

1 hour ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

To quote DavidH it is clear that no one wants to engage in the forum as things are - so I'm giving it a miss. I'll look in sometime down the line -in the meantime 'good health'. 

Don't forget to come back when things get going again - you make a welcome contribution. Stay well and safe.

1 hour ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

so I'm giving it a miss.

As afcandrew said, don't forget to come back. Everyone in the travel trade is complaining, the cruise companies cannot sail, travel agents seem only to be kept busy with cancellations and refunds, crews are back in their home countries itching to return to the ships to earn money for their families, writers and journalists have nothing to write about. Two cruise companies have ceased trading, ships are being scrapped whilst others are being placed in long term layup. Not much good news there. The good news is two new cruise lines are starting and river cruising has re-started in Europe. I am going on an English river cruise in September which at least is a start for the UK. I truly believe that if the English tourist trade act sensibly, give good serice and don't over charge they have a great opportunity to resurrect some of what they have lost over the years. The UK has stunning scenery, beautiful beaches and a history matched by few, maybe why in normal times tourists from around the world flock here in their millions. September last year I covered part of a 'Round Britain Cruise' and selected to return from Edinburgh to London by train. I was amazed at the beautiful beaches we passed just south of the border, long stretches of golden sand lapped by blue waters. This is now an area I want to visit for a few days. Maybe we should start a thread on our favourite ports, countries etc. to get people back on the forum and talking.  Just a thought.

I think I have mentioned before on this forum that, despite all our thoroughly enjoyable cruises over the years, our favourite form of holiday remains taking our touring caravan across to France.  Only a few days ago, I was checking out the pricing of a journey through the Chunnel but, that is back off the agenda for now with the latest twist in the European tale.

We have, however, just had our first weekend of the year with the 'van at a Caravan & Motorhome site, meeting up with my sister and her husband for the first time since Christmas.  Next week we're heading North for a few days in York, an overnight in Durham and then pushing on to Scotland where we plan to meet up with our Grandchildren for the first time since February before they return to their re-opened schools in only the second week in August.

I was very impressed with the way in which the C&M Club have set things up on their sites to make a camping trip about as safe as you can get.

Thank goodness for the caravan.

DavidH

Have a great trip DavidH. You are heading to one of my favourite areas for scenery, Scotland. I never turn down an opportunity to cruise the Western Isles. Last September and October I cruised there on Crown Princess and then on the beautiful Hebridean Princess. Hebridean Princess really is a fabulous small ship with the best food I have ever had. One lunch time they served fresh Salmon personally served from the fresh cooked fish. Each day a different type of freshly baked bread was available. There is something magical about leaving port with a pipe band playing. 

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

Personally after listening to Prime Minister on TV I think far too many are thinking the pandemic is over and spreading the virus which will lead to a second wave. We had planned a holiday in Devon in October but have changed our mind we are staying local and being sensible and adhere to social distancing.