Sign in to follow this  
Anchors-aweigh

Apathy rules - or so it seems-

On 29 July 2020 at 7:59 PM, Oldworldtraveller said:

As afcandrew said, don't forget to come back. Everyone in the travel trade is complaining, the cruise companies cannot sail, travel agents seem only to be kept busy with cancellations and refunds, crews are back in their home countries itching to return to the ships to earn money for their families, writers and journalists have nothing to write about. Two cruise companies have ceased trading, ships are being scrapped whilst others are being placed in long term layup. Not much good news there. The good news is two new cruise lines are starting and river cruising has re-started in Europe. I am going on an English river cruise in September which at least is a start for the UK. I truly believe that if the English tourist trade act sensibly, give good serice and don't over charge they have a great opportunity to resurrect some of what they have lost over the years. The UK has stunning scenery, beautiful beaches and a history matched by few, maybe why in normal times tourists from around the world flock here in their millions. September last year I covered part of a 'Round Britain Cruise' and selected to return from Edinburgh to London by train. I was amazed at the beautiful beaches we passed just south of the border, long stretches of golden sand lapped by blue waters. This is now an area I want to visit for a few days. Maybe we should start a thread on our favourite ports, countries etc. to get people back on the forum and talking.  Just a thought.

thank you ..just the cheer we need at the moment.You are so right the beautiful rugged scenery and stunning beaches our coast line offers are well worth a look at from boat,coach or car.(i would have added cycling 50 years ago).Best wishes

19 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

I see 33 crew out of 158 on Hurtigrutens ship Roald Amundsen yesterday tested positive for Covid-19. They are now trying to trace the passengers from the last 2 cruises. Does little to change the FCO view of cruising.

Sadly, their gamble has not paid off and has potentially very serious repercussions for both crew and passengers. Don't think we will be seeing their proposed round-Britain cruises next month now. This may well confirm the cancellation of all cruises for the rest of this year...

6 hours ago, afcandrew said:

This may well confirm the cancellation of all cruises for the rest of this year...

I agree afcandrew. This is a useful site for getting truthful news. https://www.cruiselawnews.com This is a good one for cruise only. https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news.html

On 7/29/2020 at 7:28 PM, afcandrew said:

Don't forget to come back when things get going again - you make a welcome contribution. Stay well and safe.

Thanks -I'll keep dropping by! I certainly agree with a subsequent post flagging up this lovely island of ours. You would struggle to find so many gems to see in, relatively-speaking, a small land mass like ours. We are off to Symonds Yat in a fortnight [self-catering] for a few days and to meet up with the family coming over from Wales.