Sign in to follow this  
Anchors-aweigh

Venice to be a 'cruise-free' port-well for now.

A powerful protest movement in Venice has persuaded the authorities to prevent all major cruise ships from the lagoon. Effectively ceasing any berths in Venice for ships of more than 3000 capacity, I see that Costa and MSC are removing it from their current itinerary. We were among the lucky ones who were able to make port using the Grand Canal, what an entry it was. Who knows if this will become a permanency as there has already been protests to the ban. 

Edited by Anchors-aweigh

I think it is sensible at the best of times but even moreso in the current situation. On a selfish level, it wouldn't bother me as I don't generally sail on a ship carrying much over 2000 pax. I love Venice but it is its own worst enemy. This situation has been going on for years. If they had acted in the first couple of years from it starting, by now they could have built a nice new cruise terminal outside the lagoon with easy access into the city.

3 hours ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

A powerful protest movement in Venice has persuaded the authorities to prevent all major cruise ships from the lagoon. Effectively ceasing any berths in Venice for ships of more than 3000 capacity, I see that Costa and MSC are removing it from their current itinerary. We were among the lucky ones who were able to make port using the Grand Canal, what an entry it was. Who knows if this will become a permanency as there has already been protests to the ban. 

Unless you were on a very small ship I dont think you entered the lagoon going down the Grand Canal you wouldnt be able to get under the bridges the Rialto being the most famous.

3 hours ago, Anchors-aweigh said:

To sail into Venice was amazing, we did it on Arcadia a couple of times and to see the entrance into the Grand Canal from your balcony is magical. BUT, I have to say I cannot understand how the local people can complain about the cruise ships when there own water taxis and buses travel on the water so fast they make more wash than the big ships.

40 minutes ago, Countrygirl said:

To sail into Venice was amazing, we did it on Arcadia a couple of times and to see the entrance into the Grand Canal from your balcony is magical. BUT, I have to say I cannot understand how the local people can complain about the cruise ships when there own water taxis and buses travel on the water so fast they make more wash than the big ships.

I dont think small boats and water taxis will do anywhere near as much damage as 1000ft long cruise ships and their draft.

2 hours ago, Countrygirl said:

It's not so much the wash as the amount of water displaced. Obviously a large ship displaces a lot of water.

This is not new, in fact 3000 passengers would be an increase from the previous restriction which was for ships above 90,000gt, most of which have only about 2000-2500 passengers.

We sailed in on the Queen Elizabeth and what a wonderous site it is to sail into the lagoon. When we berthed the ships either side of us were monsters so, yes stop all these large ships going in and damaging Venice.