Sign in to follow this  
EMALIZ07

Venice

Im going to Venice on ventura next year and wondered if anyone had any tips or advice? I will be travelling with two children, one in a pushchair. Id love to see as much as I can of Venice, however is it manageable with a pushchair navigating around the streets. I imagine it been very narrow and cobbled. Thanks

Hi  Provided the lower areas of the city around St Mark's square aren't flooded (late autumn to spring are the months it's more likely to flood) it should be possible.  Many of the main bridges have ramps in addition to the normal steps.  Other bridges over the minor waterways have only steps some it may be problematic if there is only adult to lift the pushchair.  Water buses are wheelchair/pram friendly so visits to Burano and Murano in the Venice Lagoon are possible..  The narrow streets may make it slow going but in truth the main tourist areas are so crowded nobody goes anywhere quickly, with a little planning I would suggest you will cope and it's a lovely place to investigate, enjoy your cruise.

If you are there overnight, consider having a stroll out in the evening. If you'd like to walk from the cruise terminal to St Marks or Rialto Bridge you can get on the people mover (1euro per person each way), just outside the cruise terminal, close to the water taxi area. When you get off the people mover head to the other side of the bus terminal and then follow signs on street corners to Rialto (signs for Piazza de Roma to go back to the people mover). It isn't a boring walk, you will pass loads of churches, shops etc down the wonderful little alleyways and over bridges.Allowing time to look in shops and stop for photos it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get to Rialto Bridge. St Marks not much further.

From the ship you walk across to the People Mover...take euro coins as it's self service for tickets...it's a mono rail into Venice. Once off the train walk across the road over thr bridge and you are there...from here you can get a water bus which children would enjoy... Number 1 to St Marks Square.... Or just walk I as we do...you see so much more of foot...your walk will take you it the Rialoto Bridge and on to St Marks...once in st marks walk to the waters edge and turn right...past the painters ans stalls there is a small park nice spot to sit and rest tied legs... Near there is a white building which is tourist info building and loos near by.