CaptainChris

Do You Have a Least Favourite Port?

When you cruise as much as I do you're bound to find a few bad eggs!

For me, although I love Venice (it truly is beautiful) it was also horrible due to the sheer volume of cruise ships and tourists docking there. It makes me wonder whether sea levels really are rising...or is Venice sinking due to the weight of all the tourists there!

Guest Christine

I can understand where you're coming from CaptainChris - even though Venice is lovely I'm sure throngs of tourists getting in the background of your photos and treading on your toes can put a dampener on a day out!

For me my least favourite has to be Kusadasi in Turkey. For the same reason as you, it was very busy. But the market was also a nightmare - all the sellers were so pushy and actually grabbed us to try to get us to stay! If I were to return I would consider going in the off peak season to see if that made any difference.

Christine

Mine has to be Ocho Rios in Jamaica. Obviously a beautiful country but the dock itself is an eyesore and the locals make it their mission to hassle you and attempt to rip you off!

Mine has to be Ocho Rios in Jamaica. Obviously a beautiful country but the dock itself is an eyesore and the locals make it their mission to hassle you and attempt to rip you off!

Agreed, Jamaica is a beautiful place but you do get a lot of hassle.

Trinidad! 

When we went the Tourist Information staff were up & down all the streets advising us where was safe to walk or where not to go due to bandits being at the end of the road!  Good on them for having people about to help us but needless to say we felt unsafe & swiftly walked back to the ship!

The worst for me so far has been La Palma in the canary islands.  Fair enough we went there on a sunday so you would expect a few things to be closed but everywhere was.  The only bars we could find were run down, the place looked quite dingy and the excursions there that did look good we're ridiculously expensive.  Cant say I'd rush back.

Ocho Rios. Absolutely love Jamaica itself and would of loved to looked round all the markets, but the locals are horrendous for grabbing you to look at their stalls. It was very over whelming and we literally walked int the markets and walked straight back out. I would of sure bought something if they let you just look at there stuff. Very frightening and all the passengers said the same. I travelled with my partner and they were pulling us to seperate stalls. The older passengers onboard were especially slightly shook up. This was all on an organised excursion too! x

I hated St Kitts, I was back on the ship withing fifteen minutes of getting off. Dirty port, full of locals holding little monkeys trying to get you to have your photo with them for money. They stank and looked so filthy, plus one bit my finger!!

Naples ( but worth it for a first timer to go to Pompeii). We are in Naples on our next cruise and have booked to hike up Mt Vesuvius. If we go again will go to Sorrento, I have heard it is really nice there.

Gijon was pretty uninteresting too.

Not keen on Egypt, long coach journey to get anywhere and nowhere to go if you do not book a ships excursion.  Felt really uneasy at the Valley of the Kings earlier this year.

Guest Solent Richard

I can understand where you're coming from CaptainChris - even though Venice is lovely I'm sure throngs of tourists getting in the background of your photos and treading on your toes can put a dampener on a day out!

For me my least favourite has to be Kusadasi in Turkey. For the same reason as you, it was very busy. But the market was also a nightmare - all the sellers were so pushy and actually grabbed us to try to get us to stay! If I were to return I would consider going in the off peak season to see if that made any difference.

Christine

Good afternoon Christine.

Kusadasi is of course the most convenient port for visiting Ephasus, the alternative being Izmir - almost an extra hour journey.

I would guess the culture of the shop keepers is similar to that of their counter parts in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul.

One of the hazards, albeit a minor one, of visiting the amazing ports and cities of Turkey.

Guest Solent Richard

Naples ( but worth it for a first timer to go to Pompeii). We are in Naples on our next cruise and have booked to hike up Mt Vesuvius. If we go again will go to Sorrento, I have heard it is really nice there.

Gijon was pretty uninteresting too.

I feel most ports are what you make of them.

In my experience of reading reviews and forums the two places that stick out the most are Vigo and Salalah.

Yet on my visits to those places I have had a good 'run ashore'.

Vigo in particular for its amazing seafood lunches and Salalah proved most interesting when we decided to look at the Frankincense Trail and the Incense Road.

About time I did a review on that. Now there is a challenge.