ChrisP

Formal Nights On P&o Azura

I always wear a long dress on at least one formal night, even on the non formal night's I always make an effort to dress up a little.

I wouldn't go to a restaurant at home in jeans, I always like to dress accordingly!

Guest suespud

Im not on Azura till feb 2017, and I have my eye on 3 long dresses .

Long dresses are very fashionable at the moment..so I am looking to buy dresses that are not too sparkly or formal, so they can be worn more than on a cruise.

Lots of blingy accessories, will help for the formal nights on Azura.

Dressing up is a good reason to cruise for me. Long or short you will be fine. Just bear in mind in the caribbean even with the air conditioning it can get very humid. Last cruise my nicely curled hair had all gone to fluff in half an hour as it was so hot in Epicurean and I had chosen a full length sequined dress that was heavy and didn't help the situation. Luckily my others were more light weight so I did better for the next formals. 

Literally just done a short HR contract for P&O on Brittannia. Formal night whilst there 75% cocktail dresses. This didn't match my own Azura experience over Xmas that was  was well over 70% long dresses for formal nights. This time i wasn't a paying customer so my dress was crew standards - for me formal full length. Back on board in 6 weeks for 12 weeks yep formal all the way and a requirement to be involved in hosting a table. 

Have been on mang P & O cruises, off again this week to Norway, with long dresses for formal nights and shorter dresses for the rest.

love dressing up and seeing other half in DJ etc. Learnt to dance on one of our cruises, and nothing like dancing when everybody looks so glamorous. ☺

It's a shame that some cruise lines are trying to distance themselves from Formal Nights, certainly when luggage allowance isnt a factor I cant see why these shouldnt be retained. As everyone on the thread has said nothing looks better than seeing everyone dressed up, after the ships are are conditioned so its not the hot weather that can be the factor

My advice would be to wear long dresses and dj's if you feel comfortable wearing them but certainly DON'T be put off cruising if you don't  because you won't look out of place AT ALL as long as you still wear smart dresses and shirt and trousers.  My hubby and I had resisted cruising for years because of what we thought was the strict formal dress code but, not being able to fly any more, we decided to risk going on a cruise last year and we absolutely loved it. My hubby wore smart shirts and trousers and I wore some lovely dresses and, granted, we didn't go into our dining room on the black tie evenings but this wasn't a problem for us in the least as there are so many others places to eat.  We were assured by Bolsover CC that we wouldn't feel out of place and we certainly didn't. The ladies in their finery looked beautiful and the gents extremely smart but I can honestly say that I didn't feel we had "missed out" because we hadn't stuck rigidly to the formal dress code. I'd say that for us the cruising experience was making the most of the fantastic facilities on board ship, waking up in a different place each morning and embracing the different cultures of these places and just relaxing and feeling comfortable and at ease whilst we enjoyed every aspect of our holiday. If you enjoy wearing and feel at ease in long dresses and dinner jackets then by all means go for it but please don't feel put off cruising if you don't. We're off on our second cruise with P&O in a few weeks time and there still won't be a tie included in our luggage!  :-)

How is it enhanced Brian as I have to admit that having travelled on their ships I have never noticed this. 

I think you are being a little bit unfair OWT!  When we sailed with P&O there was always a slightly different style of menu on the formal nights.  A quick look at the P&O website would suggest that the same is still true.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/life-on-board/example_menu

Of course personal taste will determine whether an individual views the menu as better, worse or the same.

I feel we should all make the effort to dress up otherwise we are playing into the hands of the "cant be bothered to dress moaners,".If you dont want to dress up go on NCL as its completely casual.There are cruise ships now to suit every taste so pick the right one for what you want and stop trying to change everything.

I feel we should all make the effort to dress up otherwise we are playing into the hands of the "cant be bothered to dress moaners,".If you dont want to dress up go on NCL as its completely casual.There are cruise ships now to suit every taste so pick the right one for what you want and stop trying to change everything.

Could not agree more.

Not only the "can't be bothered to dress", but also the "can't be bothered to shower" element.

Ouch...that's hitting a bit below the belt wheels36!!! I mentioned we wouldn't be taking long frocks and lounge suits etc not bathroom accessories. Where does the "can't be bothered to shower" comment come in to the equation? It's not that we can't be bothered to dress, just that we prefer not to on a relaxing holiday. Surely each to their own. Oh and cabin boy....we looked at NCL and many other cruise lines but decided that P&O was the one that best suited our taste and I'm pleased to say we were correct...our tastes were catered for perfectly. We had not one single thing to complain about and hopefully the same will apply on our next cruise with P&O in a few weeks time.