Sign in to follow this  
Land Ahoy

The Best And Ugliest Cruise Ships

Hi  I rarely pay too much attention to the ship's profile when booking a cruise but they do vary considerably.  The most ugly cruise ship I have ever seen is NCL's Epic while the Star Cipper vessels are the most athestically appealing.  Do you agree?

I'd have to agree with you Land Ahoy on the NCL Epic.  The facilities on board sound impressive but the size and design of it are really off putting.  I think the Celebrity Solstice Class ships are some of the best for exterior aesthetics.  I also think the Cunard ships and the latest Seabourn designs like the Sojourn are nice to.  

Is it the loud paintings on the front of ncl that hurt your eyes LA?

Hi  It's looks like designer of the Epic has taken his inspiration for the ship's profile from John's Meririck's head it's just hideous.   Also NCL's use of "street aerosol artwork" on the outside of their vessels doesn't do anything for me!

Referring to the ships exterior...

Ugliest Looking Cruise Ships

For me ships such Thomson Celebration, Fred Olsen Black Watch, Costa neoRomantica, Swan Hellenic Minerva fall into this category. I’m pretty sure many will disagree and prefer a classic style ship.

post-15-0-36608400-1389888535_thumb.jpg

Best Looking Cruise Ships

Personally I love a modern, streamline looking ship such as Carnival Breeze, Celebrity Reflection, Cunard Queen Elizabeth, Seabourn Quest. I also like the bigger ships, again many will disagree.

post-15-0-38189600-1389888553_thumb.jpg

Yes yes yes...ok...  So the Epic is not the most attractive ship but what it lacks in beauty it makes up for in so many other ways.  I really enjoyed the Epic when we were on it Sept '13.  The staff were amazing and I was seriously impressed with the attitude towards cleanliness!  When your not the ship you don't notice the 'ugliness or graffiti'.    So please don't let you put this off.

There certainly are some pretty ugly ships around, especially some of new behemoths, but once on-board I forget the exterior.

I still prefer a ship with a wide teak wrap around promenade deck and tiered rear end.

cheers

Harvey

Hi  I rarely pay too much attention to the ship's profile when booking a cruise but they do vary considerably.  The most ugly cruise ship I have ever seen is NCL's Epic while the Star Cipper vessels are the most athestically appealing.  Do you agree?

That is the first thing i look at, i suppose being a naval man for over 30 years, i'm fussy. When i see this big modern things, Azura, Ventura, indipendance of the seas, arcadia, and all such ships, i think it is an insult to call them ships, i know its just me, but i want a ship to look like a ship, not like a load of containers have just been plonked on the deck, but as i say that me. In all honesty can anyone say that britania, is better looking and has nicer lines than say Oriana? i guess you could if your not bothered, but in the terms of traditional cruising, no way. :) 

I agree that the interior of a ship is much more relevant than the exterior but a poorly maintained exterior does not bode well for the level of maintenance which might be expected for the interior - a case in point being the Saga Ruby which was berthed near us (Aurora) in a port a couple of years ago. Having said that, we have friends who sail with them regularly and assure us that the ships are "fine" inside. We have never travelled with that company but the level of care given to the outside would not entice us to do so.

As regards the comment from a previous contributor about the teak "walk around" deck - horror of horrors, the Britannia has NO actual Prom Deck.aaaaaghh!

We still like the tiered aft of the ships which seems to lend elegance to the design as opposed to what my husband describes as' blocks of flats on barges' but I suppose this gives more cabins and revenue is revenue.

I agree that the interior of a ship is much more relevant than the exterior but a poorly maintained exterior does not bode well for the level of maintenance which might be expected for the interior - a case in point being the Saga Ruby which was berthed near us (Aurora) in a port a couple of years ago. Having said that, we have friends who sail with them regularly and assure us that the ships are "fine" inside. We have never travelled with that company but the level of care given to the outside would not entice us to do so.

As regards the comment from a previous contributor about the teak "walk around" deck - horror of horrors, the Britannia has NO actual Prom Deck.aaaaaghh!

We still like the tiered aft of the ships which seems to lend elegance to the design as opposed to what my husband describes as' blocks of flats on barges' but I suppose this gives more cabins and revenue is revenue.

The only NCL ship I have sailed on was really ugly, both inside and out, but the outside was particularly strange.  Holland America's Zuiderdam has garish colours inside although the outside is quite classic.  For overall appearance I like Celebrity's S Class ships for their stylish decor.