Sign in to follow this  
vena72

SMOKING !!

Another one i'd say are pretty good is Princess, i was recently on the new royal princess and thats also got churchills, a smoking room indoors.  I know the balconies always nice and the promenade decks etc but if ever your cruising the baltics or the weathers a little chilly, having that option inside must be a nice welcome relief for smokers. 

I sympathise with smokers. I used to be one, but stopped very many years ago. Smoking in balconies was a concession, but the smoke did drift into the cabin itself, as well as adjoining balconies occupied by non-smokers. Should these non-smokers ( in adjoining balconies) not be considered?

For those who are opposed to the new smoking ban issued by P & O you can write to them and put your point forward. I do agree that it is unfair on those who had already booked their cruise before this ban was imposed and think that they could have allowed smoking on balconies on one side of the ship and seeing how that worked before imposing a total ban.

Just my view and hope that this does not upset anyone.  :unsure:

Yup. They would probably have loads of empty smoking cabins left as the stokers are in a minority it would seem. I certainly wouldn't book a smoking side cabin. The stench just hangs around everywhere.

The health of the cabin staff and other crew members seem to be totally ignored here as well. What do the cruise companies do. Only employ crew members who smoke to work on the smoking side. Don't think so.

Perhaps a silly idea would have a smokers only ship .. Probably only need a very small vessel though. And before anyone writes anything, this is only a stupid joke idea. It will never happen . So to the stokers there is only one message left. LIVE WITH IT OR DONT GO.

From what I have heard from smokers opposed to the ban, I gather it isn't the fact that the bans are being imposed but more the fact that the changes have been bought in after bookings have been made.

I have read on other community sites how the non-smoking brigade gang up against the smokers. Some of the people are ex-smokers yet treat the smokers with a great amount of disrespect for which there is no need. Those who have given up have said how hard it is to break the habit so if they need the e-cigs or whatever to help them to break the habit then so what… they are not hurting anyone and at least they are trying. On many cruises I have sat on the smoking side and found that many of the people on that side are more friendlier as they do not object to having their space invaded by someone wishing to have a chat.

There is no need to be obnoxious with these posts, everyone is different and it takes all sorts to make a world. Don't let this community site end up like those others where the posters start ganging up and slagging off other cruisers just because they have a habit that is hard to break.

Give them a chance - once the changes are in force then I am sure that everyone will comply with the rules. This is a new thing and like everything it needs time to settle in.

Is it just the smell of smoke that the self righteous are moaning about? Surely some drifting smoke, outside, on a ship traveling at 20 knots (burning 200 ton of fuel a day?) cannot be unhealthy on someone else's balcony surrounded by 3 sides. So, it must be just the smell! Do you know I hate the smell of spicy food and curry - BAN THEM.

I think this whole process is a long term, intentional plan by the management to entirely ban smoking on ships. Can you imagine the amount of moans which are now going to cascade with ALL smokers having to huddle together in their pen on deck. This will lead to another 'surprise' decision to have a total ban within the next 12-24 months.

Having taken my first cruise on the Canbera and every holiday since on P&O ships (that's a lot of cruises and money) I am now looking for alternative holidays. I am not so addicted that I cannot manage without a cig for a period of time, my protest is about the arrogance and intolerance surrounding this ban, by management and some of the non-smokers comments made on the subject. 

What do I do with my loyalty points now? - Just a joke as loyalty to (some) passengers does not exist obviously. Company policy - like it or lump it, no discussion or idea exchange.

Hi last year was the 1st time we booked a balcony and it was nice being able to have an occasional ciggy on the balcony. I agree with some of the comments made that the non smokers on board can be very very rude to smokers and make a point of bagging all the seats on the smokers area then if a smoker lights up they spend all their time coughing. It's extremely frustrating as smokers do not have many areas on the ship compared with the places for on smokers. I know of one lady smoker who had a non smoker come up to her and said I hope that kills you!

It is one of the hardest things to stop smoking and a lot of the non smokers are reformed smokers so they should try to be a bit more understanding.

I think I must be travelling with the wrong cruise lines as I have never witnessed any "Ganging Up" against smokers or non smokers taking up chairs in the smoking area. It always seems to be what someone has read or been told. Has anyone on this forum actually ever witnessed it. If you have please let me know which ship it was on and when. Yes I used to smoke but realised what a waste of money it was so one day I just said "I don't smoke" and stopped. The first 5 days were difficult but after that it became easier and now it is 14 years. However I now suffer with a bad chest and regret the day I ever started smoking and yes, like Nipper10, I too believe that a total ban is on the way. possibly by 2016. 

I have never come across non-smokers ganging up on smokers who are legitimately allowed to smoke in designated areas.  I agree that it is galling for the cruise line to move the goalposts after one has booked but then again there would never have been a good time to bring in the ban on smoking on balconies.  Did the company offer anything to the smokers who thought they could have a cig on the balcony then discover that they are no longer allowed?   I don't like the labelling of people who are afraid and very conscious of the dangers of passive smoking as 'habitual moaners'.  I disagree, being aware of smoking and its inherent dangers does not make someone an 'habitual moaner'.