Sign in to follow this  
Grannykate

Finding it difficult to find travel insurance

We have booked the world cruise on Arcadia in 2015 and are finding it difficult to find travel insurance. We have booked a balcony so the cost is greater than the £10,000 cover offered by many companies. It is 106 nights duration and again many companies won't cover that amount of nights. To top it all, although we are relatively fit, we both have health issues but I have seen many people who don't look fit to travel, on board ships, so how do they get cover. Can anyone on the forum recommend a company they know of or have used. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks Catherine.

Guest Solent Richard

We have booked the world cruise on Arcadia in 2015 and are finding it difficult to find travel insurance. We have booked a balcony so the cost is greater than the £10,000 cover offered by many companies. It is 106 nights duration and again many companies won't cover that amount of nights. To top it all, although we are relatively fit, we both have health issues but I have seen many people who don't look fit to travel, on board ships, so how do they get cover. Can anyone on the forum recommend a company they know of or have used. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks Catherine.

Good afternoon Catherine.

I used to be a great believer in Saga Insurance. They always gave a good service. 

For the last few years I have used Staysure. One of their policies allow you to nominate a condition for which you have received medical treatment and maybe are free of any further complications. 

By nominating the condition you can accept an exclusion for anything related to that condition with the subsequent reduction in premium.

They also, for a supplement, allow extensions.

I am currently covered by...

http://www.spectrumtravelinsurance.co.uk/Annual_Multi-Trip_Travel_Insurance

who offer anyone aged 75 years or under  the option to extend cover for existing medical conditions.

PS. I'm well under the 75.

Hope that helps or certainly gives you a steer.

if you just google longstay travel insurance a few come up, not all insurance companies issue long stay, and annual policies generally only let you have a maximun of 30-45 days stay per trip. i find using the comparison sites give you a good idea of who does the product and whos level of cover suits you best. hope this helps.

I have tried many insurance companies, none of them would cover my medical condition of C.O.P.D. the insurance company that covered my 2013 cruises wished me as a valued customer Happy New Year and looked forward to my custom in 2014, they did not mention my conditioned would not be covered 2014, companies did cover the condition with a inflated premium, i.e. for 12 days £750.00, so retracting my steps back to Bolsover i am now covered by Holiday Extras, £121.00 worth contacting anyone with a problem. Mike Caerglowhill

I have used HSBC travel insurance because they only request details of medical pre conditions for 12 months rather than the 24 months most other policies require

You should read the policy wording very very carefully, If like me, you had a knee opp 3 years ago, no problem, BUT 9 years ago I had a heart attack which I have to declare,failure to do this would invallidate any insurance. Insurance companies are getting very keen so remember to tell them everything

Thank you to everyone who replied, I really appreciate your help. I have decided to leave it a few months before I organise the travel insurance but have taken a note of all your suggestions. If I can find a company willing to take us on I will post the name on the forum. Catherine

I have my insurance through BUPA. Whilst I am covered for 180 days in the year it is only for 90 days at one time, I did ask them about a world cruise as they are usually over 100 days and they said that you can do it as a gap year insurance… You do have to tell them everything, luckily I am covered for all.

We went on 2 world cruises using our bank insurance which was Axa, my husband  had type 2  diabetes and the premium  the premium was less than 200 pounds, however ., last year he had a  cancer spot removed from liver and I was unable to insure him although the doctor said it was completly removed they also removed the cover for diabetes although not related.

I shall certainly try holiday extras when we book our next cruise.CG