Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

AFC04/03

Is a Northern Lights cruise excursion necessary? If so, who with?

19 posts in this topic

Can anybody help me, I have a relative going on a Northern lights cruise and he is desperate for advice?? should he pay for an excursion 'in search of the Northern Lights' With P&O or can he see them from the ship, or can you recommend any Excursions that would increase his chances.

Any help from anyone would be excellent.

thank you.

the northern lights are naturally occuring and can be best seen at night, so light pollution from towns and the ship would affect what you would see, I would think that probably the excursion will take you away from the source of artificial light maybe higher ground to get a better atmospher in which to view them( I would say however that I only saw them once on my voyage and the previous voyage nothing at all, so it is never gauranteed)

I know the excursion is expensive but that is what the cruise is all about - to find the Northern Lights - so I would suggest that an excursion is the best way to have the opportunity of seeing them.

In fact I think the excursion is cheaper than doing a trip privately

David

Harvey likes this

I know the excursion is expensive but that is what the cruise is all about - to find the Northern Lights - so I would suggest that an excursion is the best way to have the opportunity of seeing them.

In fact I think the excursion is cheaper than doing a trip privately

David

I quite agree David - it's what the cruise is about. It's the only excursion I've booked as I want to have the best chance of seeing the Aurora Borealis. As has been said of course - unfortunately there's no guarantee. 

cheers

Harvey

PS   Just out of interest - may I ask why you have an ID of 'june' but sign off as 'David'? :)

In retrospect I wouldn't recommend paying nearly £150 for a trip to see the Northern Lights. You can see them really well from the ship in ALTA as there isn't much light pollution and you can go inside to have food and drink.

I would thoroughly recommend the excursion but just be aware that it is never guaranteed but you have an expert who will take you to the best position available to see the Northern Lights. You are never guaranteed wherever you go and we stood on deck for nearly 3 hrs at Tromso without seeing anything and the brief sighting that was announced by the Captain earlier on in the evening we were told by a couple that saw it that it was nothing compared to what we saw on excursion. We had a continuous experience from 10pm until getting near to midnight but dont forget that lights from towns or anywhere decreases the effect of the lights as you really need total darkness.

I would LOVE to see the Northern Lights!!

Was a fantastic experience and one we will never forget but like some on our cruise who did the same excursion but on the second night were not so lucky there are no guarantees.

I really want to go and see them, are they as good as they look?

They are not as good as you see in photographs because the lens of a camera sees them better than the human eye and even the BBC struggled to film Northern Lights on the infamous Joanna Lumley programme because it is very hard if not impossible to film with a video camera. Having said all that it was a fabulous experience.

Have finally persuaded my other half to book a cruise on Oriana Feb. 2017, and really hoping we will be lucky to see the lights as it has been on my wish list for about 6 years.  The last 4 years we have cruised the Caribbean in Feb and other half nearly always moans it's too hot! So, how cold will it really be in the Arctic next year? Will we need special thermal clothing? 

We did the northern lights cruise on the Oriana February just gone. My advice is bite the bulit and pay for the excursion. The company who run it have various sites all over the region for viewing and they examine the weather conditions of all of them before the coaches set off. On the night of our trip we were supposed to be going an hour out of Alta to the best site but at the last minute the weather changed and we stayed in Alta. We saw a fantastic display which ticked off the bucket list item big time. The next night the people who booked the trip saw nothing and neither did anyone else as the whole of the area had thick cloud. It's all down to luck but if you have the option to travel to a site with better weather your chances are better than staying on the ship.

Oh and make sure proper clothing is worn, typical English winter clothes will not cut it. You will be out in the elements for about four hours in about -18 as we had. You need arctic boots hats and coats with lots of layers and wind proof trousers. People were going in silly clothes and had to bail out and go back to the ship due to the cold. They paid the money and missed the whole thing. What is the point of going on the once in a lifetime trip and then fail to achieve its purpose due to bad planning.

Have a good trip

GiGi

Have finally persuaded my other half to book a cruise on Oriana Feb. 2017, and really hoping we will be lucky to see the lights as it has been on my wish list for about 6 years.  The last 4 years we have cruised the Caribbean in Feb and other half nearly always moans it's too hot! So, how cold will it really be in the Arctic next year? Will we need special thermal clothing? 

When we did the cruise a couple of years ago it was minus 26 at 2-30am out in the ice fields looking at the Northern Lights but it didn't feel as cold as that.

I did post some photo's in the gallery but you will have to search for them now under "In Search of the Northern Lights 2014"

I read recently that Hurtigruten are offering the Northern Lights promise on their Classic Round Trip Voyages, so probably a good time to see them, also they are offering the shorter Arctic Highlights option and some have regional flights.

Hi my wife and I have recently done a "Northern Lights" and we did in fact see them briiliantly from the ship.The cruise director was very good and kept everyone informed of any sights of activity throughout the night.Obviously if you were not interested you just had to turn off the intercom in your cabin.But we were very fortunate to get a brilliant sighting without the need of spending on an expensive excursion .

4 hours ago, Vicofcanterbury said:

Hi my wife and I have recently done a "Northern Lights" and we did in fact see them briiliantly from the ship.The cruise director was very good and kept everyone informed of any sights of activity throughout the night.Obviously if you were not interested you just had to turn off the intercom in your cabin.But we were very fortunate to get a brilliant sighting without the need of spending on an expensive excursion .

You were very lucky because when we went a few years ago we paid for the excursion and had a fantastic show of the lights from the minute we arrived until the minute we left 3 hours later  and unfortunately the lights were never seen from the ship throughout the whole cruise.