Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

davep

Loud Music

16 posts in this topic

Have just returned from a lovely cruise around the Caribbean on Ventura. I have to say that P&O have everything worked out perfectly except for the entertainment. The resident troupe  "The Head Liners" were a dead loss, and appear to try and compensate for a poor performance by putting up the volume on their pre recorded songs and music, to such a level as to be almost deafening.The Chapman brothers were billed as putting on a show of blues and soul. The opening number was so loud that people in the audience were surprised, and after the next song started audience members including my self walked out and we were assailed by the sounds as far as the main Atrium. Does any body else find the volume too high?

Jeffniffer likes this

Hi davep,

We went on Azura at xmas and i must say the top deck was ridiculous! apart from having to endure hours on end of the same bloody christmas songs it was at a volume impossible to relax! after several people asking to turn it down or off! they eventually did. theatre sound wasnt bad though i must admit!

Hi  I agree with harley1 I do not like piped music on open decks whether it is loud or in the background, however, I don't mind live music being played providing ii is not on too long (45 minutes is sufficient).  Back to the original post by davep I have no objections to loud music in the theatres being a baby boomer I went to rock concerts starring the Who, Led Zep etc where the volume was turned up to eleven and in comparison the sound volumes generated on cruise ships isn't anything like as loud.  PS Going to these concerts in the past may have led to some hearing loss over time so it may that I don't register the sound as effectively.as those with better hearing.

i have noticed some of the performances by the headliners to have this issue, much too loud microphones making them sound screechy, im used to loud music but in that sort of setting it ruins the performance

Sometimes, when guest entertainers have been in the theatre, the band playing have been so loud that you cannot hear the singer sing! It wouldn't be so bad if the band were any good but sometimes they are very out of tune.

Have just returned from a lovely cruise around the Caribbean on Ventura. I have to say that P&O have everything worked out perfectly except for the entertainment. The resident troupe  "The Head Liners" were a dead loss, and appear to try and compensate for a poor performance by putting up the volume on their pre recorded songs and music, to such a level as to be almost deafening.The Chapman brothers were billed as putting on a show of blues and soul. The opening number was so loud that people in the audience were surprised, and after the next song started audience members including my self walked out and we were assailed by the sounds as far as the main Atrium. Does any body else find the volume too high?

I too have sometimes found in the past noise levels way to high, entertainment is one thing but being deafened is not on my itinery, and also not to happy about hearing it all over the ship as i have experienced on the odd ocassion.

I was on Arcadia once, I cannot remember who was on in the theatre but the music was really loud….. In fact when I stood near the entrance to the rising sun that was when it sounded ok….  :wacko:

Just back from Arcadia and agree that the Headliners shows were very loud at times. Backing tracks and two very loud shrill singers took away some of the enjoyment. Like "Land ahoy" I also went to rock concerts but the Queen tribute played in a small theatre indoors does not need that amount volume. Otherwise an excellent performance.

I could say empty vessels make most noise. I have said much, already, about the Headliners and how poor they are. What they lack in ability they try to make up for in volume. Talk to reception if you have an issue.

We thought that the "Headliners" put on an enjoyable high energy show on Azura.

They only sing over tracks, but that's recognising vocal limitations,something some other acts could well take note of.

Being a classical singer and teacher myself I value my hearing, and I carry cotton wool to put in my ears during a performance. If you talk to the performers or the technical guys they don't know what you're talking about. That's because they live in that environment for several hours every day and suffer hearing loss themselves, such that they cannot appreciate what the normal ear is hearing. 

On 2014-1-20 at 0:41 PM, davep said:

I'm wondering why the Headliners find it necessary to rely on pre-recorded tracks? We've just enjoyed our 11th cruise, and this time it was on Fred's "Braemar" The Show Company was only 8-strong, but they all had good voices and used hand-held microphones. Fabulous choreography too, and the result was the best entertainment we've ever experienced on our cruises (with 5 different companies).

Having commented on Headliners in 2015 I was hoping for things to be better on this year's Arcadia cruise.  If anything it was worse as I had to walk out during a show for the first time ever. Good dancers but the singing was so raucous. Didn't bother going back again so I missed out what used to be one of my favourite parts of a cruise. Louder is definitely not better!

Have never been to any Headliner's show where I found the noise to loud and never had the need to walk out of any show even when they have been indifferent IMO but it is very hard to please best part of 1000 people in the theatre at any one time. Some will say its too loud others too low and others will think it is fine unfortunately you cannot please everybody at the same time.