- Recreate a Cunard Christmas with one of our final Culinary Corners of the year, full of sugar and festive cheer!
For the gingerbread:
- 250g butter
- 200g muscovado sugar
- 7tbsp golden syrup
- 600g plain flour
- 2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4tsp ground ginger
For the Royal Icing:
- 2 egg whites
- 500g icing sugar
- Dolly Mixtures
- Liquorice Allsort
- Flaked Almonds
- Place the butter, golden syrup and muscovado sugar into a pan and melt until incorporated
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, then add the ginger and the bicarbonate of soda
- Add the melted butter, syrup and muscovado sugar into the flour mix and bring together to form a dough
- Rest the dough for 40 minutes, then roll out to your desired thickness and cut into shapes (there are various gingerbread house templates online)
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake at 180c for 12-14 minutes
- Leave to cool before decorating
- To assemble, pipe along the edges of the shapes before joining together. Leave to dry, using supports, for a few hours before adding the roof, and then again before adding the decorations.
Tip: Ensure your Royal Icing is stiff – a runny icing will make assembly difficult.