Have you felt it yet? That chill in the air that says autumn is coming. We’re embracing the change in seasons and all that comes with it, including the promise of long Sunday afternoon walks followed by a roast with the family and an indulgent hot dessert to round off the weekend. If, like us, the thought alone makes you come over all toasty, give this Holland America Line recipe a go.
For the pudding:
- 1 litre milk
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 170g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 lbs day-old bread
- 85g butter, melted
- 115g raisins
For the sauce:
- 1 pint milk
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- 225g sugar
- 255g egg yolks
- To make the custard, combine the milk, eggs, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla, then mix well.
- To prepare the bread, cut in cubes, drizzle with butter and toast in the oven.
- Combine custard mix, bread and raisins; fill buttered custard cups or a casserole dish.
- Bake in a water bath in a 180-degree oven for 45 minutes or until the custard is set.
- To make the sauce, heat the milk, heavy cream, vanilla bean (cut in half lengthwise) and half of the sugar until it boils. Remove the vanilla.
- Combine egg yolks and the rest of the sugar, then temper with part of the boiling milk while stirring constantly.
- Pour tempered mixture into the remaining milk and return to the heat.
- Stir constantly and don’t quite allow to boil. Remove immediately from stove and strain into a bowl.
- Cool by placing the bowl in a larger bowl filled with icy water, being careful not to let the sauce get wet.
- Serve and enjoy!