Hot lemony clams with handfuls of crusty bread and butter is what your Saturday night needs. This recipe is light on time but heavy on flavour. Created by P&O Cruises Local Food Hero Jose Pizarro, it’s a taste of what’s to come on board Iona’s jaunts around the Med. Add chilli for an extra kick and serve with pasta if you’re after a bigger meal.
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 lemon, half finely sliced, half juiced
- 1 kg fresh palourde clams, cleaned
- A few sprigs of thyme, leaves stripped
- A handful of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Heat a little oil in a deep, heavy-based pan. Fry the garlic and lemon slices for 30 seconds, then increase the heat to high, add the clams and cover. Cook for 2-3 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until the clams have all opened (discard any that refuse to open). Add the lemon juice and herbs and serve with lots of crusty bread to mop up the juices.
Recipe from San Sebastian and beyond by José Pizarro (Hardie Grant, £25.00)