The name of this Cypriot dish intriguingly means ‘stolen’ and it’s safe to say that it has stolen our hearts and our appetites. In the latest recipe from Silversea’s S.A.L.T Kitchen, set to feature on the restaurant’s Terrain menu for the port of Limassol, we’re rustling up lamb Kleftiko with all the tasty, tangy sides.
- 1kg boneless leg of lamb, cut into 10cm or 4-inch pieces
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 lemons (zest and juice)
- Small bunch of fresh oregano, chopped
- Small bunch of fresh rosemary, chopped
- Small bunch of fresh thyme, chopped
- Small bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick or a good pinch of cinnamon powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 120ml or 4oz olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 180°C.
In a large bowl, combine the lamb pieces with all ingredients and coat with olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper and mix well.
Place lamb, herb and vegetable mixture in the center of the bottom half of a large sheet of parchment paper. Wrap it well, folding in the sides, so the juices from the meat and the vegetables can’t escape. If you prefer you can make 4 smaller packages approximately 8” x 8” for individual servings.
After wrapping, place the package(s) in a roasting tray with enough water to cover halfway up the sides of the packages.
Bake in the oven for 3½ to 4 hours. Open the parcels at the table and let the delicious aromas enchant your guests!