Mixed experience on Azura
David Hopkins | May 12, 2023 | P&O Cruises | Azura
Have recently returned from 14 day cruise on Azura the first time have cruised with P&O since 2016 and as indicated in the title had a mixed experience.
The pluses first.
1. tTe embarkation and disembarkation procedures were extremely smooth in particular the transmission of luggage from ship to the home airport, a big plus.
2. The staff on Azura with no exception were extremely good, in particular our waiters on Tables 7 and 8 in the Oriental restaurant and our cabin steward on Deck 9.
3. Our cabin was very comfortable and well maintained.
4. The excursions we went on were good value particularly the trip to Siena and the wonderful lunch we had in the farmhouse.
1. P&O clearly are appealing to a different kind of clientele than previously and this was in particular reference to dress requirements in the evening, the rules were noticeable by their non compliance and no attempt by the staff to ensure acceptance.
2. The food was ok but not much imagination, for example, Tomato Soup Caesar salad steak fruit salad appeared nearly every night.
However, the formal night’s menus were a considerable improvement on the rest.
3. There were 2 changes made one prior to the cruise and one during the cruise which were incomprehensible. First, we purchased a wine package, the wines were excellent, but did not finish a bottle in one night. Previously if that were the case the waiter would mark the bottle and return it to the table the next night, the new practice was you had to take the bottle back to your room which was a considerable inconvenience if after the meal you did not want return to your cabin of if you wanted to go to a bar for a pre dinner drink.
Introduced during the cruise was the non availability of trays in the buffet, this was awkward for people with mobility problems and increased the use of the serving areas thus reducing the space which by its very design was cramped. This change really showed that the powers that be had ordered it had never visited a buffet at a meal time.
4. The speakers experience symbolised our experience of the cruise mixed, the first speaker who gave talks on medicine and art and 1968 was one of the best I have ever heard on a cruise the second…..
5. The cost of the WIFi was as usual on a cruise prohibitive why cruise companies cannot get into their heads that for 99.9% of the passengers an efficient and cheap system is an essential part of life is beyond my comprehension a plea to all companies to change.
The good and the bad
Having just finished a cruise on the Azura which we thoroughly enjoyed I would make the following observations. They have… Read more
Great cruise but a valuable day in Vienna lost to shoddy planning
The hotel in Vienna proved to be just right for us being quiet and well placed for the botanic gardens… Read more
Ups and downs of cruising.
The start and end of the cruise has been difficult. Actually the start problem was not with the cruise at… Read more
A Brilliant short cruise except for the sore feet
A short cruise to Amsterdam. Service was excellent all round. The food was good, excellent in Sindhu. We were in… Read more
Value for money
Western Med and Balearics. Excellent service starting from collection from home. Ship and our “standard cabin” was extremely comfortable and… Read more