MSC Cruises reveals more details of Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve, this one-of-a-kind island experience that will welcome its first guests from 9 November this year.
Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve
With Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve, MSC Cruises is transforming a former industrial sand extraction site into a flourishing marine reserve and private island destination that will exist in harmony with the local ecosystem.
MSC Cruises’ CEO Gianni Onorato explains:
Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve will bring something new and unique to our Caribbean itineraries from Miami and Havana and is set to become a truly memorable highlight for our guests. We have created a guest experience that complements the breath-taking natural beauty of this remarkable part of the Caribbean. There was no need for us to build extensively on an island that already had the ingredients of a natural paradise. However, we have undertaken extensive work to clean-up the island, removing tons of historic industrial waste and helping to return the beaches and the entire 64 square miles of protected waters surrounding the island to their pristine state.
Seven Distinct Beach Areas
Guests will be spoilt for choice with seven distinct beach areas. Sun beds will be available on all beaches and some beaches will offer cabanas that can be rented for the day. The Great Lagoon’s shallow crystal-clear water is perfect for protected swimming and water sports, whilst the smaller family lagoon is designed for the enjoyment of the younger guests, with very shallow, calm water and plenty of games. At over half a mile long, the Great Bimini Beach is the largest stretch of beach on the island, as well as the place to go to enjoy a variety of water sports.
Discover the waters around the island through snorkel safaris, kayak tours and paddle boarding. The Family Explorer club will also offer fun activities for all the family.
Ocean Cay guests are able to rent privately for the day a smaller island close to the main body of land and this will include: a private boat that will take the group to the island and remain at their disposal; and a marquee, sun beds and loungers and food and drinks. Near the island is an old shipwreck, making it a wonderful spot for snorkelling.
A wide range of entertainment activities will take place from sports games and tournaments, dance lessons as well activities for all of the family will also take place.
Food and Drink
To ensure that the island is sustainable and to minimise waste, there is a select number of dining options on Ocean Cay. The ship will be fully operational whilst docked at the island and the furthest point from the ship is only a 20-minute walk or there is an electric cart service that will transport guests around the island.
There is a choice of options for food and drink ashore, including:
- Buffet: a variety of international culinary traditions, including American classics and authentic Bahamian flavours as well as some kids’ favourites.
- Food carts: food carts with casual street food will be available; including a taco truck, conch fitter truck, and more. The trucks will be stationary during the day around the beaches and will move to the Marina area at night creating an atmospheric food festival-style feel.
A range of different bars with different atmospheres include:
- Authentic Bahamian Bar: Located in the Marina, this friendly bar offers cocktails and drinks in an authentic Bahamian style.
- Lighthouse Bar: This Hemingway-style cocktail bar offers an ample selection of rums, other spirits and delicious cocktails, all with an incredible sea view.
- Beach Bars: There are seven beach bars spread across the island, each with its own personality and its own special look and feel.
- Ice Cream Parlour and Coffee Bar: Located in the Marina, this venue offers different kinds of ice cream, from classics to more innovative flavours. The coffee bar offers freshly brewed whole bean and ground coffee, espresso and cappuccino for an energetic start to your day on Ocean Cay or a quick boost later on.
A key part of the island experience is a specially designed retail concept which has been designed to reflect the overall vision of the island with four distinct shopping areas and offer guests the opportunity to take home unique and special souvenirs or to find holiday essentials that they may need.
Relax and Rejuvenate
For those guests looking to relax and rejuvenate on the island, there will be services provided by the award-winning MSC Aura SPA with a selection of relaxing body and facial treatments. All the beauty products used on the island are bio-degradable and eco-friendly.